My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done

Lost Highway, the Elephant Man, Twin Peaks, Blue Bob, Blue Velvet ... all other Lynch discussion here please
Cowboy

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done

Postby Cowboy » 21 Oct 2010

I sort of 'took one for the team' and watched the Lynch produced My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done. Directed by Werner Herzog, it's pretty awful and (unfortunately) too Lynchian. By that I mean, many Lynch films feature characters with little or no self-awareness. This I find ... tiring and just doesn't resonate. I don't mind that SOME characters don't have a sense for their situations or some degree of self-realization ... but when a film is populated with them - it becomes cheap theatrics and one-dimensional. How many characters can walk around with dead-pan expressions with only the audience realizing the situation?

Sometimes I wonder what these filmmakers are thinking about with their choices. For example, the actress Chloë Sevigny is shown in short shorts and sweater being interviewed by the police and the scene immediately changes to a flashback in time to her wearing the exact same outfit. Do they think that's funny? Interesting? Or is it just 'fuck it this is low-budget filmmaking where we suckered yet another notable actor to work for scale so they can say they were directed by some famous director?'

While this is not a Lynch written screenplay it would be unobservant to not notice the pet themes that bear his mark including:

- Blue flashing lights of police car conveniently in the backdrop during police interviews
- A weird scene with a 'little person' with no connection to the story at hand
- Obsessive discussion around coffee and prominent coffee cup props
- Havenhurst is mentioned as part of some sort of police radio transmission code
- Casting of Lynch regular Grace Zabriskie
- One-handed man insider joke during cop car scene
- A Ed reference with using a character named Uncle Ted
- Corral scene
- Spanish language song

Whether a Herzog thing or not, it should also be noted that one of the Detectives is named Vargas - a reference to the film Touch of Evil.
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

Return to Lynch Films