Blue Box phone connections

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Siku

Blue Box phone connections

Postby Siku » 26 Sep 2014

Given the number of phone calls in MD, I was interested to read this: Wikipedia entry for "Blue Box".

A blue box is a phone hacker's device that allows you to make your own connections.

Phones are important to Lynch as are electrical connections - the cowboy appears as the phone lines overhead flash with electricity, and similar flashes happen as Diane hallucinates before her suicide. It's been suggested electricity relates to the firing of synapses in the brain, possibly making connections between different states of consciousness.

outofthewoods

Re: Blue Box phone connections

Postby outofthewoods » 30 Sep 2014

Maybe Lynch is a Doctor Who fan. :^) Hehe.
Phones are important to Lynch as are electrical connections - the cowboy appears as the phone lines overhead flash with electricity, and similar flashes happen as Diane hallucinates before her suicide. It's been suggested electricity relates to the firing of synapses in the brain, possibly making connections between different states of consciousness.

Gotta love that. Often in interviews I recall Lynch talking about putting a microscope up to something (both figuratively and literally) and how there are worlds within worlds, and that's when he gets into the Unified Field and how everything is connected. Intuitively I feel that what you're saying about these electrical connections is an example of these worlds within worlds. There's a whole world inside our bodies. All kinds of things are going on inside our bodies, very complex things that we are totally unaware of. When you really zoom in and analyze it, you realize that there are very similarly things going on in the outside world, on different scales. For example the way our veins branch out is the same way branches on trees grow. Same, organically-occurring patterns in different systems.

Then again if it's true that the electricity relates to the firing of synapses' in the brain, then really his films are no different than something like Osmosis Jones, where the inside of the human body is shown symbolically as an actual city inhabited by creatures that all have jobs to do.

As an aside, my favorite use of phones in a Lynch film has to be Lost Highway (which came right before this one). The famous Mystery Man scene where he urges Fred to call home? So damn memorable! And then the fact the intercom from his front door that delivers a msg is actually himself, signifying he is in the same place @ the same time (outside his front door and also inside his bedroom), which is an effect also created in his other films including MD. Remember in the kitchen when Diane hallucinates Camilla came back? Her freaked-out self is replaced by another version of her standing where Camilla was.

Return to Mulholland Dr.