Aunt Ruth

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Erniesam

Aunt Ruth

Postby Erniesam » 13 May 2014

At this point I don't want to get into this topic too deeply. I just want to mention something concerning Aunt Ruth I didn't notice before. Thanks to the topic "MM connections" I started thinking about the true nature of Aunt Ruth.

I did notice before that Aunt Ruth doesn't have any contact with anybody (exept very sparsely with her chauffeur). I always thought that Aunt Ruth was purely fictional and linked to Rita Hayworth, who Diane admired as a child, through her hair color. I just couldn't figure out the real "need" for this fictional person. Now I think I have a better "explanation" concerning Aunt Ruth.

Marilyn Monroe apparently always referred to her real mother as "that woman with red hair." Could it be possible that Aunt Ruth is a replacement figure for Diane's real mother which presumably is dead? This way the red hair refers to Aunt Ruth as being Diane's real mother and also establishes the link between her mother and Rita Hayworth. Aunt Ruth than is a crossing between these two women. This would also seem to suggest that Diane realy loved her mother and due to her fleeing into her fantasy world being Hollywood she combined her mother with her idol Rita Hayworth. Hence the birth of Aunt Ruth.

This is speculation of course and I do not have any credible evidence to back that up. This to me seem to solve a couple of problems, not in the least the one where Diane's parents are. We never here her speak about her mother, only a reference to "her father" during the rehearsal scene in which Betty states (playing the role): "My father is up stairs." This to me seem to suggest that her parents are indeed dead (maybe killed in some accident) and that Diane has been raised by her grandparents who abused her. Hence Diane's wish that her mother was still alive, who in her fantasy is modelled after Rita Hayworth: red hair and succesful.

Still, this is just a proverbial sketch of my take on Aunt Ruth. I cannot find enough material to seal this interpretation tightly. But that's one of the beauties of this movie, isn't it?

derekfnord

Re: Aunt Ruth

Postby derekfnord » 05 Jun 2014

Good thoughts, Erniesam! :) Lately, I've been thinking about Aunt Ruth as well, and wondering about the person credited with portraying her: Maya Bond.

Maya Bond has no other credits in IMDb. While this could mean that the actress has simply made no other appearances in films or TV, another possibility seems more likely to me (given her name).

"Maya" is a Hindu/Buddhism term akin to illusion, delusion, or mis-perception of reality; A un-truth, if you will (more on maya). And "bond," of course, means to fasten, affix, or hold fast to. Taken together, "Maya Bond" would seem to mean something like, "Hold tight to delusions," "cling to fantasies," one who is bound to their misperception of reality, or the like.

All of which makes me think "Maya Bond" is a false name, meant to give us a clue to the nature of Aunt Ruth. Since the character speaks no lines in the film, it wouldn't be at all unusual for the role to be uncredited (in fact, it would be more normal than the fact that she is credited despite not having a speaking part). The woman may simply be an extra by profession (who has no other IMDb credits because extras are usually uncredited), being credited under this suggestive name.

So I think Aunt Ruth probably relates somehow to Diane being trapped (In her dream? In her life?) by delusions or misperceptions of reality. The name "Maya Bond" also ties in with the Club Silencio magician informing us that everything is an illusion or a recording. Perhaps there's no real "Aunt Ruth" at all, and she's a delusion/illusion Diane clings to (for support, for escape, etc.) Or perhaps there is (or was) a real Aunt Ruth, but she doesn't really match the sort of person Diane portrays her as, or the role Diane projects her as filling in Diane's life, or the like (caught in a misperception of reality).

Erniesam

Postby Erniesam » 06 Jun 2014

Wow, that's nice Derekford.

I hadn't thought about the actress herself playing that part. Indeed, the name Maya Bond could be fictional purposefully put in the credits by Lynch to give another clue. This could indeed mean that Aunt Ruth is a way for Diane "to hang on to her fantasy." In fact, this sounds very convincing to me.

This way Aunt Ruth is a pretty complex character.
1. A way for Diane to hang on to her fantasy
2. Reference to Diane's mother
3. Reference to Rita hayworth, Diane's idol
4. Reference to success in Hollywood
5. A un-truth, indicating she's not real
6. The character who's life Diane hopes to play in the Sylvia North Story

And yet the actress who plays Aunt Ruth doesn't even get proper credits for it? Such a shame.

Bob

Postby Bob » 09 Jun 2014

I would add:
Reference to Glinda, the Good Witch of the North

Like Glinda, Aunt Ruth has given Diane help in her journey through the Oz-like land of her dreams, which in Diane's case is Hollywood. - Alan Shaw

Siku

Postby Siku » 09 Jun 2014

Erniesam wrote:Indeed, the name Maya Bond could be fictional purposefully put in the credits by Lynch to give another clue.

I'm not so sure. Film credits are significant for a number of reasons external to the film. Wording size, order and exact layout can all be hotly contested. Maya's agent, for example, would have something to say about this!

Does anyone know of a case when normal crediting procedures have been usurped for an intra-narrative reason?

Disclaimer:
1. Lynch could have cast Maya for her name,
2. Even if it is 'just coincidence', it's no less there.

derekfnord

Postby derekfnord » 10 Jun 2014

Siku wrote:Film credits are significant for a number of reasons external to the film. Wording size, order and exact layout can all be hotly contested. Maya's agent, for example, would have something to say about this!

Maybe, but again... MD is apparently "Maya Bond's" only credit ever (which seems a bit suspicious). Besides, Maya's agent (if she has/had one) would probably have loved that she was being credited at all. Since "Aunt Ruth" is a non-speaking role, it would have been completely normal for the role to not be credited.

Siku wrote:Does anyone know of a case when normal crediting procedures have been usurped for an intra-narrative reason?

I can certainly think of cases where credits have been omitted for somewhat intra-narrative reasons (such as not wanting to reveal that some famous actor was involved in a film until audiences saw him or her). And there have definitely been performers credited under names that aren't theirs. (For example, Elizabeth Montgomery was routinely credited as "Pandora Spocks" when playing Samantha's cousin Serena in 'Bewitched.')

I suspect this was simply a case of an extra (or possibly even a non-actress) getting a minor non-speaking role, and being credited under an assumed name. Could be coincidence, but it seems like such an appropriate name that it seems fishy to me... :holmes:

Siku

Postby Siku » 11 Jun 2014

Hilarious! It never occurred to me before that Ruth is a non speaking role! She's certainly not an inconsequential character and remember was cast for a series not a movie. Is it really the case that a silent but significant role would typically get no credit? She's not an extra.

Everything you say is possible, 'Maya' could well have agreed to a little deceipt if Lynch requested it.

Bob

Postby Bob » 11 Jun 2014

derekfnord wrote:Since "Aunt Ruth" is a non-speaking role, it would have been completely normal for the role to not be credited.

She does have a line. "Just one more bag after that." faintly spoken around mark 10:00.

Return to Mulholland Dr.