Shelves at Sierra Bonita

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Siku

Shelves at Sierra Bonita

Postby Siku » 31 Oct 2013

There's been a fair amount of discussion about the shelves at Havenhurst and their contents, but not so much about Diane's shelves at Sierra Bonita. Here they are:

Sierra Bonita shelves.png

Top shelf visible here:

Sierra Bonita top shelf.png

Thoughts, observations?

What are those six things?
Last edited by Siku on 01 Nov 2013, edited 1 time in total.

derekfnord

Re: Shelves at Sierra Bonita

Postby derekfnord » 01 Nov 2013

Well, the metallic bowl/basket on the bottom is a bowl/basket (probably used for keys, change, and the like). The two light items on the next shelf up look like candlesticks. Above that is a ball basket (I've seen them used for potpourri and as a container for bunny treats where the rabbit is supposed to tear the basket open) and an ashtray. On top is an old tea container.

Any thoughts on what they might mean/symbolize? Nothing leaps immediately to mind for me, except perhaps for the candlesticks-without-candles (and DeRosa taking her lamp) indicating some kind of "no light in her life" message...

Siku

Postby Siku » 01 Nov 2013

It's all pretty impersonal Derek. No pictures or cards or homely stuff, Unlike Havenhurst.

Those two candlesticks (and all the lamps and lights) remind me of the soul or intuition.

derekfnord

Postby derekfnord » 01 Nov 2013

Very true about the personal touches. Heck, those items might even have come furnished with the apartment...

Erniesam

Postby Erniesam » 01 Nov 2013

I'm not quite sure about all the things, but the object on the top shelf is interesting. It says "Tea." We know Diane drinks coffee and in my opinion the coffee stands for the lack of talent and emotional instability that caused her failure in Hollywood. I've written about it elsewhere on the forum: there are a lot of hintsto this assumption.

So Diane imagines in her dream to have tea, while this does not represent her inferior brand of coffee.

Return to Mulholland Dr.