Who abused Diane?

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Erniesam

Who abused Diane?

Postby Erniesam » 23 Oct 2013

I thought I had it figured out and that Diane parents abused her. There were still some scenes and things that bothered me and that didn't fit this approach very well. I'm still not quite sure, but I'll try to explain my thoughts about it.

Initially I thought her parents were guilty of Diane's abuse, because I couldn't see her grandparents as the guilty party. So I thought Diane had erased the image of her parents from her memory and replaced it with the "more kind and bearable" image of her grandparents. I thought the clues in the movie to this abuse fitted this approach nicely. But it seemed to me this was an elaborate approach, which had too many assumptions.

First off: what is the evidence that Irene and her partner ARE Diane's grandparents? There is not much to go on exept for the painting of Beatrice Cenci. There is much to say about this painting, but here I just want to point out, that the brothers of Beatrice were mistreated by their father, Francesco, and that he was at the point of sexual abuse with Beatrice when the family members decided to kill him. So, the painting hints at incest, which means that Diane was abused by her father or her grandfather. But this painting we see in the dream and Diane has the habbit of distorting the truth. This isn't clear proof of incest, but indeed a clue.

What about the parents of Diane? There's hardly any reference to them exept on two occasions. The first being the picture of a mother and daughter in the appartment of Aunt Ruth (right before we see the painting of Beatrice Cenci for the first time). Initially I thought that the picture represented Diane and her mother and that Diane pictured their relationship as good, while in reality it was bad. With my new approach to Diane's abuse, I have to revise this change in distortion. I believe Diane realy was abused by the partner of Irene and that Irene covered up on which I will speculate later. For now I like to place the father and mother of Diane within the dream-fantasy-reality structure of the plot. The fact that Diane pictures herself having a good relationship with her mother in her dream (although it isn't actually Diane herself in the picture, maybe because that would be too great of a distortion of reality) could mean, that in reality she had no relationship with her mother at all. I think because her mother died when Diane was young.

The reference to her father we find in the rehearsal scene, where Diane says: "Stop it before I call my dad. He's upstairs, I can call him." I thought that would be her grandfather, who had already died. Now I'm conviced that would be her real father, who had also died when Diane was young. Perhaps her father and mother died in an accident. This "upstairs" would suggest that her father is in heaven and the "calling" would suggest to get in touch with reality (which the telephone represents throughout the movie). Look at the age difference between Diane and Jimmy Woody Katz. It certainly could be her father, but than, could he be her grandfather in reality?

So, what about Irene and her partner? I believe they are her grandparents, because of the painting of Beatrice Cenci. They could also be Diane's fosterparents, but there isn't any reference to that. So I view them as the grandparents. Why did they abuse Diane? Well, is there usually a logical reason? I don't know. It could be that Diane reminded them of their lost child (father OR mother) and that they "punished" her. That's just speculating and there's absolutely nothing to support that. When we asume it were her grandparents who abused Diane, it is easy to understand why Diane sees them in her final moment of despair.

The assumption that Diane's mother is dead explains to me the role of Coco in her dream. Coco is very "motherly" to Diane: she takes care of her and gives her advise. Perhaps Diane visions her as her surrogate mother in her dream.

Siku

Re: Who abused Diane?

Postby Siku » 23 Oct 2013

I haven't seen Psycho so probably shouldn't have been reading...
this post, but the reference to deceased mother is compelling. Not sure what to make of it, but thought you might find it relevant.

Erniesam

Re: Who abused Diane?

Postby Erniesam » 23 Oct 2013

Oh, oh, you haven't seen Psycho? Shame on you!

To be honest, I think this comparison to Psycho is farfetched. The fact that the impression of the body of Norman's mother looks the same as the corpse in MD and the position of Rita isn't very compelling evidence of some "secret" reference by Lynch. To me this position is very common to lie in, it looks a bit like the foetus position.

Furthermore, I don't see a similarity between the relation between Norman and his mother and Diane and her parents. Norman is as crazy as a loon, but Diane realy is just a poor victim of circumstances. A truly tragic figure.

How do you place the link with Psycho with this, Siku? I know you don't personally, but you mentioned this thread. What do you think of the clues that the grandparents of Diane abused her?

Return to Mulholland Dr.