Ed's Office - Coat rack and Poster

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
catkins

Ed's Office - Coat rack and Poster

Postby catkins » 11 Jul 2013

What is hanging on Ed's coat rack next to the telescope? The cloth or material has a very distinct pattern. Also, why do we see blood on the poster after Joe pulls in the Health Plus lady from next door? We see the poster after Ed is shot without blood on the poster. I do not believe this was a mistake or a lack of continuity due to the dream state.
Attachments
EdOfficeCoatRack.png
EdOfficeCoatRack2.png
EdOfficePoster.png

kmkmiller

Re: Ed's Office - Coat rack and Poster

Postby kmkmiller » 11 Jul 2013

although I can't tell what the design is on the scarf, it's a scarf and I'll suggest checking out who else has/wears scarves in MULHOLLAND DRIVE.

the blood on the poster i think actually might be a continuity issue. I don't want to sidetrack any good ideas on it, i mean i suppose it might make sense that the hit on Camilla (and also Adam as a witness) might have taken place in an Italian Restaurant. It seems that mobsters do have a habit of carrying out hits in Italian Restaurants if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for pointing out the scarf, btw. The inventories of props in Joe's office usually tend to focus more on the telescope and the keys, and I think the scarf is equally important as the rest.

Bob

Postby Bob » 27 Jul 2013

Just throwing out ideas:

The spaghetti & meatballs poster might indicate Ed's connection to the Castigliane brothers
http://vine.rottentomatoes.com/vine/sho ... did=222545

A possible reason for the blood stain on the poster is given in the Goofs section on our website
http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/goofs.htm

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 28 Jul 2013

I've always considered the continuity error to be a clue for the observant. I also think that the way Lynch is wired is for ideas to have multiple meanings.

Blood on Italy poster - Italian Mobster film connection

Blood on Poster of Spaghetti and Meatballs - Spaghetti Western connection.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 28 Jul 2013

perhaps a relevant datapoint.

in INLAND EMPIRE Nikki and Billy (despite Nikki's intuition telling her it's a really really bad idea) start moving towards their implied tryst, and Nikki leans over to Billy and says "I bet you know a cute little Italian Place, tucked away." And Billy says "Why yes, yes I do."

i've already tossed out there the idea that the hit, IRL, takes place at an Italian Restaurant. If Joe is the hitman and heavyset woman is thought of as a Camilla doppelganger (and vacuum guy is Adam who got killed too during the hit cause he witnessed it) then, if it's not a goof, then it would make sense that there be blood spatter on that spaghetti poster NOT when Ed is killed, but only AFTER heavyset woman is killed.

LOL, i wonder if I'm the first one to use IRL in connection with a David Lynch movie and not the internet. The implications are many.

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 28 Jul 2013

kmkmiller wrote:LOL, i wonder if I'm the first one to use IRL in connection with a David Lynch movie and not the internet.

If IRL means "in real life", no. However, I'm pretty damn sure suggesting that the heavyset woman as a Camilla doppelganger is a world's first.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 28 Jul 2013

However, I'm pretty damn sure suggesting that the heavyset woman as a Camilla doppelganger is a world's first.

ok.... I'm going to clarify. There is little similarity in looks, but what I'm trying to do is look at this scene as a re-enactment of the murder of Camilla and Adam. Joe and Ed killed Camilla and then had to kill Adam too because he witnessed the hit. Because what this does is it changes the scene from the traditional view that Diane is just telling herself that Joe is incompetent. Which is just a dream/wish fulfillment. But changes the scene to a vision, a vision of the truth.

this ;-) s

Xav

Postby Xav » 29 Jul 2013

Dialogue in IE: "I'll bet you know a cute little ltalian resaurant, tucked away ...private, great food.
- I do! How did you know that?"

IRL: "They strolled arm-in-arm a block and a half to Vitello's Italian Restaurant, located at 4349 Tujunga Avenue. It was a nice, clear evening, even if, at 60 degrees, a bit on the chilly side for Southern California. A slight breeze blew in from the west and made their short walk to the restaurant all the more chilly that fateful evening."
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/family/bakley/1.html

Return to Mulholland Dr.