Some Weird Crazy Ideas About Cynthia that are Probably Wrong

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
kmkmiller

Some Weird Crazy Ideas About Cynthia that are Probably Wrong

Postby kmkmiller » 20 Jun 2013

i don't know why i'm even posting this because it's probably wrong, and i'm sure it's just something that only exists in my mind but i just can't shake this idea that Diane is somehow linked with Cynthia.

The greek goddess Diana was, for all intents and purposes, born on mount Cynthus and therefore she, in her Roman form has been known to be called, at times, Cynthia.

It's also just something that I see in my mind when I watch the movie that Camilla and Adam are trying to get home... to Mulholland Drive and both Diane and Cynthia are trying to keep Camilla and Adam from getting home..

And I guess I don't know why I build these kinds of connections to other movies. It's pretty much a given that you can't prove a connection to another movie. It's been said that David Lynch puts a lot of references to Wizard of Oz in his movies, but I can't build anything off of that cause it always just seems like a very tenuous connection that could be more of a coincidence than anything else... but anyway, in wizard of oz dorothy is just trying to get home.

So i guess I do have this weird probably wrong headed idea that Diane is linked with Cynthia in some way. Maybe I just watched the movie too much I guess. But it does help me to understand this confusing movie a little better I guess, seeing how some characters share similar motivations and stuff like that.

p.s. if someone could delete my other thread on this topic, that would be great. The tone I took in that thread was all wrong.

Siku

Re: Some Weird Crazy Ideas About Cynthia that are Probably W

Postby Siku » 20 Jun 2013

kmkmiller wrote:i don't know why i'm even posting this because it's probably wrong, and i'm sure it's just something that only exists in my mind but i just can't shake this idea that Diane is somehow linked with Cynthia.

The greek goddess Diana was, for all intents and purposes, born on mount Cynthus and therefore she, in her Roman form has been known to be called, at times, Cynthia.

It's also just something that I see in my mind when I watch the movie that Camilla and Adam are trying to get home... to Mulholland Drive and both Diane and Cynthia are trying to keep Camilla and Adam from getting home..

And I guess I don't know why I build these kinds of connections to other movies. It's pretty much a given that you can't prove a connection to another movie. It's been said that David Lynch puts a lot of references to Wizard of Oz in his movies, but I can't build anything off of that cause it always just seems like a very tenuous connection that could be more of a coincidence than anything else... but anyway, in wizard of oz dorothy is just trying to get home.

So i guess I do have this weird probably wrong headed idea that Diane is linked with Cynthia in some way. Maybe I just watched the movie too much I guess. But it does help me to understand this confusing movie a little better I guess, seeing how some characters share similar motivations and stuff like that.

p.s. if someone could delete my other thread on this topic, that would be great. The tone I took in that thread was all wrong.

Yes I can see that home-coming is a strong theme:
- Re: Wizard of Oz, "no place like home" is also referenced more blatantly in Wild at Heart.
- This tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuQJVpc4ms
- And re Diane disrupting or preventing this process: Appartment swap & stuff in boxes.

Return to Mulholland Dr.