My Freudian interpretation of MD

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
kar

Re: I FOUND THE KEY PIECE OF PUZZLE

Postby kar » 25 Feb 2013

Scene 3:
One of my favorite scenes and a very intense and tricky one. A cat and mouse game.

A sirene. The police is investigating. (SE). Winkie´s; the place where the fate of Camilla (and Diane) was sealed. (SE)

Two things are happen simultaneous:

On the one hand, there is Dan with a police-detective. He is a witness. He saw Diane with the killer in the moment of agreement. He explains his observations to the detective. He shows him where he was standing. (SE)

On the other hand,there is Diane, talking to her psychoanalyst. She wants to get rid of that fear caused by that „black monster bum“ (ID) (THERE IS A MAN...)

DAN = DAN DAN=DIAN DAN=DIANE

SE: Dan is a witness! The police will get you!

ID:So what? He just saw me sitting there showing a photograph to somebody. What does that proof? Everyone got one. (this is what Diane was saying to Joe after showing the photograph)
Recognize the gesture and behaviour of the police-detective: „Oh Boy“...he is not taking Dan seriously...

Now the psychoanalyst forces DAN/DIANE to come and see what is behind the wall (SE)
It´s a very dangerous and ugly situation. (SE)
The ID trys to prevent it: notice the arrow pointing backwards.

Does that monster really exist? Or is there nothing?

Suddenly the monster appears. (SE) DAN/DIANE is collapsing/refusing (ID) (By the way: Dan, a witness, is destroyed)

Look again! There is no monster! (ID)

Who wins? Is it all over now?

CUT to Scene 4:

The brown-haired girl. Is she dead (SE) or just sleeping (ID)???

CUT to scene 5: (now we get the answer). THE GIRL IS STILL MISSING!

ID: The police didn´t find her. They don´t know if she is dead. Everything is ok.

SE: Shit. She doesn´t remembers Camilla. She doesn´t remembers what terrible thing she has done...
We have to go on. We have to reach her. We have to remind her of that evening (the party) when Camilla phoned her : „The car is waiting...“

The telephone –chain is visualizing how the super-ego is working. It is deep inside of Diane. It is just sitting there. But it is powerful. It just has to say a few words and things are happening. It can produce fear. But it´s not easy to reach Diane´s lowest level of subconscious (the level just before the consciousness). It has to surmount some levels of Diane´s subconscious: (telephone line = brainwaves)
firstlevel:THE GIRL IS STILL MISSING-second level:THE SAME-third level:Diane didn´t lift the receiver...

(This is one meaning of the telephone chain. Most probably it also displays the call-girl theme)

...the duel continues...

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 26 Feb 2013

consider the idea .. since you've already discovered that Dan is an incarnation of Diane trying to get rid of her god awful feeling (guilt)... consider that Herb is an incarnation of Camilla.

Also note that the reading of the phone call chain is not accounting for some details. The large room with lavish chandelier, looking at the back of a big head, and then the basement area phone, the hairy arm and the circular light attached to that green phone.

I still can't figure out what's in that jar on the shelf.

kar

Postby kar » 26 Feb 2013

All the things that happens in her dream are based on her memories. People, places ,situations... They are all locked up in her mind, her brain. The super-ego wants her not to forget Camilla and the killing of Camilla. It wants Diane to judge herself. So it brings her back deeply hidden memories. The big hall with the chandelier could be regarded as the center of the big library of memories. The man with the big head is the main-librarian. He knows where all the memories can be found. The good ones, the bad ones. He activates the memories. All the bad memories-the memories Diane wants to forget- are stored in the ugliest place of the library. (what are we doing with our old stuff in reality? we store it in a cellar or in the atttic. we don´t see them any more. we forget them. but they still exists) And who is working in the ugliest place of the library. Does he need fine clothes or does he need to be well-groomed? He is sitting near his telephone and waiting for an order. (TALK TO ME) (It seems to be blood in the small glass container in the cupboard)

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 27 Feb 2013

Nice.

It's mostly just white lodgey phone call to the black lodge cause no, Diane ain't gonna be in the White Lodge, but to consider that is where her memories are stored, as if in a library, great halls of consciousness, the environs of which reflect her moral well-being, well, that's pretty darn cool.

kar

Postby kar » 28 Feb 2013

...the duel continues...

Scene 6:

It´s bright daylight. Now the atmosphere is less menacing (ID). Diane dreams of herself. She is beautiful, innocent and she is ready to become a filmstar.Her sexual desire is repressed but her desire to be a moviestar is alive. The ID is laying over the super-ego (pink jacket over blue top). But the super-ego is everywhere. And it is watching her. (the big man at the exit, dressed totally in blue jeans). But most of all: The best friends of the super-ego: Diane´s Mom and Dad. The incarnation of moralities.

Finally Diane (Betty) goes her own way. She is leaving her parents behind(ID)

But her mom reminds her: „Remember, I´ll be watching for you on the big screen!“ Take care of yourself and be careful!“ (don´t stray from the right path...)
(notice the watch of mom: on the first embrace it is five past eleven. On the second embrace it is five to eleven. I don´t know if that was ever mentioned before, so excuse me, siku, if i´m repeating something ;-) )

In this scene we see the problem of the super-ego. It is standing in his own way. It deepens the „innocence-mood“ of Diane. The suit of armor is getting stronger. In this mood Diane isn´t able to remember Camilla.

„My bags!“
The taxidriver puts the blue bags in the trunk (corpse in the blue dumpster). (SE)

Mom and Dad are driving in a black limousine behind the blue truck (dumpster).
They understand each other without saying a word:

Look Daddy, in front of us, the blue dumpster. Time is working for us . In the end she will remember the truth.
Right mommy. All will be fine in the end.

kar

Postby kar » 03 Mar 2013

Scene 7:

Betty arrives at Havenhurst.
Again the super-ego tries to remind her of the truth, of her guilt. But it can´t reach her. Betty (Diane) didn´t realizes all the hints. She is protected by her repressed ID

Coco welcomes Betty with the same words she was using at the party( in reality): „Just call me Coco“) (SE: hey , remember the mother of Adam )
This nice lady is the manager of Havenhurst (ID)

There is dog dirt on the floor. 1:The police is dogging you. 2: DeRosa was dogging you. (SE)
It´s just from a neighbours dog (Wilkins...) (ID)

Look how Coco is dressed up, the words she is using and the way she is talking. This has similarities to a judge. black dress, white chain =black robe with a kind of white scarf.
Coco-like a judge- is resolute. This is her courtyard (=courtroom). If you do wrong, you will be punished. (SE)
(SE is warning: I will not accept, if you are lying. Behave yourself. Remember the truth.)
ID: Coco is just talking about the neighbours.

Coco gives Betty the key: „You and your aunt probably have an understanding, So here is the key!“ (SE: You and the killer have an agreement: Here is the blue key; ID: It´s just the key of the appartment. )

Again Coco as a judge: „ Everybody in this building is pretty much ok with me or they wouldn´t be here.

kar

Postby kar » 09 Mar 2013

Scene 8:

The ID is controlling the scene. The super-ego is weak. It only can produces small reminders of the truth.

Betty explores the appartment. Everything is fine. She is smiling.(ID)

Suddenly she discovers the black dress on the floor. Her smiling stops. This doesn´t fit in her perfect illusion.(SE)

She goes to the bathroom. Again she smiles. (ID)

Oh. There is someone under the shower (SE).

Now the first time in her dream Diane (Betty) is standing face to face with Camilla (Rita). The illusion is strong.
The memories of Camilla are deeply repressed:
It´s an unfamiliar girl. I don´t know her. She is naked-but this doesn´t arouse me(ID).

The brown-haired girl comes out of the bathroom. My name is Rita.

Now Rita is established. (Camilla is replaced by Rita) (ID)

The super-ego is reacting:
Rita stumbles backwards to the wall. (A reminder of the killing. A shot in the head) (SE)
The strand of hair. The hematoma at the head.

Notice the symbols of Diane´s sexual desire. They are already there. Rita half naked with a deep red towel.
The note of aunt ruth: „ENJOY YOURSELF-LOVE“

She covers Rita with the red/black robe:
1: she covers Rita with sexual desire, with love (red) (ID)
2: she covers the dead body of Camilla (black) (SE)

..but Diane is protected by her repressed ID...

last take of this scene:
Is Rita just sleeping??? (ID)
or
Is she dead??? (SE)

Siku

Postby Siku » 09 Mar 2013

Interesting that her head wound is indicative of the same fate Ed suffered - a bullet in the brain.

RinoTheBouncer

Postby RinoTheBouncer » 26 Mar 2013

You've done a great job explaining the film.

I would also like to think that the ending of the film when Diane shoots herself is another illusion because after she does, there's a blue box in the drawer which is more like a symbolism of being in a dream as the killer said he'll slip a blue key, not a blue box and the box when held by Rita lead to waking up from that "dream" so it was part of a dream and here it's probably another reference that her suicide attempt is just another dream. A way to escape reality and feeling guilty over what she's done, what she's become and what she's lost.

We also see smokes coming from under the bed after she shoots herself which feel so surreal that they refer to a dream ending or a show on stage ending with the smokes playing the role of curtains closing.

The woman who says "Silencio" looks a hell of a lot like Camilla, an older version of her or perhaps she's just a story-teller saying "Silencio" to refer that there's nothing to more to be said.

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 27 Mar 2013

It's not nonsense. It's just more stuff based on precious little, let alone a grand plan.

Previous

Return to Mulholland Dr.