Tower Theatre

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
lookingforLA

Tower Theatre

Postby lookingforLA » 22 Apr 2013

Hello everyone!

I've been following this website for a time now but this is my first post and I apologize if I say things that have already been said somewhere else - I haven't read the whole site yet. I also apologize for my English is not always perfect (I'm French) :uups:

Thank you kar for your enlightening posts - even if I'm not a huge fan of freudian interpretations, I do think there's a lot to be understood by using your manner of seeing the movie.

I wanted to add something about what kmkmiller and you said about
The large room with lavish chandelier
and the fact that
All the things that happens in her dream are based on her memories. People, places ,situations... They are all locked up in her mind, her brain.

The room with the chandelier is actually the main entrance to the Tower Theatre building in which the Silencio was shot, so in a way, Diane did see that room when she went to the club with Rita. I'm not sure there is a lot to do with that, but I'm working with some friends on an interpretation of Mulholland Drive through its locations, so I'm planning to open a new topic on the matter and listening to anything you could say about it !
With exquisite irony, contemporary Los Angeles has come to resemble more than ever before a gigantic agglomeration of theme parks, a lifespace composed of Disney worlds

kmkmiller

Re: Tower Theatre location

Postby kmkmiller » 22 Apr 2013

Here is some Location info from the MD main page....

http://mulholland-drive.net/studies/locations.htm

Regarding the chandelier scene.....

It's not like it's a big deal or anything, but I do try to clarify my reading of the movie. I do not believe that certain parts are more real than others or that characters in the dream are lifted from a "reality" counterpart scene. As an example, The Cowboy who visits Adam. That is not a scene that found it's genesis in Diane seeing a Cowboy in the dinner party scene, not in my opinion.

That is just The Cowboy who shows up at crucial points in the movie to help the characters get to where they need to go.

lookingforLA

Postby lookingforLA » 22 Apr 2013

Sorry, I obviously missed the thread from vine.rottentomatoes.com that gives the info
I just pointed it out because when I visited the Tower Theatre two weeks ago I suddenly realized the entrance was the location for the back-of-the-head scene ;-)
Where does your picture come from though?

About the cowboy, could we say that he's an adjuvant for Hollywoodian characters, as he seems to live right below the Hollywood sign, in a ranch whose purpose is to ride visitors to the top of the hill?
Anyway that doesn't really explain his appareance at the party :whistle:
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-04-22 à 22.37.36.png
With exquisite irony, contemporary Los Angeles has come to resemble more than ever before a gigantic agglomeration of theme parks, a lifespace composed of Disney worlds

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 22 Apr 2013

Super cool getting to go to the Tower Theater and seeing that scene in real life.

The pic I posted is from Inland Empire. Nikki's palatial estate.

Bob

Postby Bob » 22 Apr 2013

lookingforLA, can you tell us more about your experiences at Tower Theatre? I was told the place was closed to public some years ago. Back then we were thrilled to get a couple of interior shots smuggled out that helped to confirm the origin of the Back Of Head Man scene:

LA_136.jpg

LA_137.jpg

How easy is it to get in now?

lookingforLA

Postby lookingforLA » 23 Apr 2013

Well I've been staying in L.A for two weeks with a group of French students and researchers from my school. The opportunity of the trip was the AAG annual meeting (a week of geography conferences), but my group also had a research project on Mulholland Drive so we made a lot of calls to visit the locations.

We basically used the phone number above the closed door of Tower Theatre to contact the manager who set up a meeting and showed us in. It wasn't that easy, the manager was obviously busy but you can try a French accent and maybe get as lucky as we were :-)
Tower Theatre's been indeed closed to the public for years now, it is used only for filming and less than a month per year. I don't have the pics on my computer yet but I will post some in here eventually!

blu

Re: I FOUND THE KEY PIECE OF PUZZLE

Postby blu » 23 Apr 2013

lookingforLA wrote:About the cowboy, could we say that he's an adjuvant for Hollywoodian characters, as he seems to live right below the Hollywood sign, in a ranch whose purpose is to ride visitors to the top of the hill?

From an old abandoned thread by me where I started to explore MD locations via Google Street View.

lookingforLA wrote:Tower Theatre's been indeed closed to the public for years now, it is used only for filming and less than a month per year. I don't have the pics on my computer yet but I will post some in here eventually!

Be absolutely thrilled to see those and any other locations you have! :nod:

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 23 Apr 2013

Wow!! What an awesome photo!!!!

If we only knew that MD took place on June 16th then we could, instead of a Bloomsday, do a Selwynday.

Wouldn't that be fun??

LOL!

lookingforLA

Re: Tower Theatre

Postby lookingforLA » 25 Apr 2013

We're building our website right now but I will keep you posted as soon as possible and you'll find all our photos on that site!
We were incredibly lucky in our research so you will find pics of Adam's house as well as of Silencio or Castigliani's building 8-)

blu

Postby blu » 22 Jul 2013

Thread bump in hope of new Tower Theatre photos.

:angel:

blu

Postby blu » 23 Jul 2013

You guys, look what a Youtube search turned up. Footage of the last ever public tour of the Tower Theatre. And a 720p source.

:2up:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

blu

Postby blu » 23 Jul 2013

Ahhhh.

And an LA Times article saying that:

The historic Tower movie theater at the corner of South Broadway and 8th Street is poised to get a dramatic new lease on life — this time as a concert venue with an indoor-outdoor bar and coffee house along 8th Street and a plush basement nightclub-style bar on the Broadway side.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/26 ... r-20121026

Guess not much progress has been made if lookingforLA managed to get a peek in April.

Bob

Postby Bob » 23 Jul 2013

Eight years ago I would have wet myself watching that footage. :-P

Return to Mulholland Dr.