London Screening | Fri 26 June 2015 | Prince Charles Cinema

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
ctyankee

Re: London Screening - 26 June - Prince Charles Cinema

Postby ctyankee » 26 Jun 2013

Enjoy the screening. I'm quite jealous. I still waiting to see MD on the big screen almost a full 12 years after.

Over those years, there has been (at least) three retrospectives of Lynch's films near me. None of which included a showing of MD. Oh, well. Someday it will happen.

Siku

Postby Siku » 26 Jun 2013

Thanks! And it's 35mm print too 8-)

Just brushing up my Alan Shaw now... I think, it being on the big screen and analogue, that there's a good chance it'll all fall into place this time.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 26 Jun 2013

Enjoy the movie guys even if whatever you think about it is paper thin and pathetic cause you're both kind of sad. Have fun!!!

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 26 Jun 2013

Also I can't imagine reading Alan Shaw before watching Mulholland Drive. To deny myself an intuitive interaction with the movie would just be really sad. I honestly think anyone who does that is purposefully trying to avoid the impact Lynch wants his work to have. What a sad sad idea.

Have the guts to see the movie without having it spoon fed to you by Alan Shaw beforehand. Just a little bit of a curmudgeon today guys, sorry! Have fun with the screening!

blu

Postby blu » 28 Jun 2013

So I met Siku and his lovely lady and we had a beer and saw the film.

35mm print, good volume, receptive audience.

It was brilliant to see it on the big screen. I'm still thinking a bit about what new I got from it, but I think we might have also kind of fixed a date to see this in October:

220px-CABINETOFDRCALIGARI-poster.jpg

With a live score by Minima

:up:

blu

Postby blu » 28 Jun 2013

btw, say a prayer for some of my friends tonight.

They're sat in the same theatre we saw MD in on Wed night, right now. And they will be just over 180mins into a 12 hour NIC CAGE MARATHON. They're watching 6 Nicolas Cage films back to back, and will spill out, deranged, onto the streets at 9am GMT.

Nutters.

:whistle:

Film Syncs

Postby Film Syncs » 01 Jul 2013

blu wrote:So I met Siku and his lovely lady and we had a beer and saw the film.

35mm print, good volume, receptive audience.

It was brilliant to see it on the big screen. I'm still thinking a bit about what new I got from it, but I think we might have also kind of fixed a date to see this in October:

220px-CABINETOFDRCALIGARI-poster.jpg

With a live score by Minima

:up:

Minima

http://www.minimamusic.co.uk/

Pretty good stuff, particularly towards the end of the video. Caligari might be really neat to see with them performing live.

Siku

Postby Siku » 03 Jul 2013

Yes it was a good one, sorry we couldn't hang around but transport in the UK demands we're all tucked up in bed before we turn into pumpkins.

Looking foward to The Cabinet.

kmkmiller, don't worry - trying to stop the emotional impact of Lynch with Alan Shaw's essay would be like trying to hold back the tide with a tissue.

Siku

Postby Siku » 09 Oct 2013

October came round quickly!

What date is Cabinet blu? We haven't missed it have we?

blu

Postby blu » 11 Oct 2013

Damn. Forgot all about it.

Looks like 24 Oct, but not sure if I can make it. I'll check and get back over the weekend.

blu

Postby blu » 16 Oct 2013

Sorry for getting back so late dude, but I'm a no go for this. Just can't swing a work trip or time off work for a stopover. But lets have a look at the programme in the new year and find something relevant.

Sorry bro.

blu

Postby blu » 16 Jun 2015

How completely perfect that Mulholland Drive is showing again at The Prince Charles EXACTLY two years to the date of the showing that this thread was discussing/arranging.

Here's the link http://www.princecharlescinema.com/even ... ridaylynch

There are about 70 tickets remaining for the showing at the moment if you follow the "buy" link in the page above. I won't be able to make this one sadly, but I will insert something into the original post and sticky this til after the showing so that any UK folk passing through see it.

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 18 Dec 2015

ctyankee wrote:Enjoy the screening. I'm quite jealous. I still waiting to see MD on the big screen almost a full 12 years after.

Over those years, there has been (at least) three retrospectives of Lynch's films near me. None of which included a showing of MD. Oh, well. Someday it will happen.

And that someday will be Monday. MD is playing at Lincoln Center then (as well as this weekend I believe). It's been a long, long wait.

Siku

Re: London Screening | Fri 26 June 2015 | Prince Charles Cin

Postby Siku » 21 Dec 2015

ctyankee wrote:And that someday will be Monday. MD is playing at Lincoln Center then (as well as this weekend I believe). It's been a long, long wait.

Enjoy, ctyankee! And let us know what's different or what you notice this time around.

BTW if you have a chance to see Cabinet of Dr Caligari you must. I think it's the film that most directly influenced MD. More so than The Wizard of Oz.

The way I read it, it's basically the same plot/structure. I've been meaning to write a full post explaining how, but just not had time, what with having a baby this year and there's quite a lot to say! I'd love to know what you all think... I'll marshall my thoughts and kick off a thread over Christmas.

ctyankee

Re: London Screening | Fri 26 June 2015 | Prince Charles Cin

Postby ctyankee » 24 Dec 2015

Siku,

Congrats on the baby, that's exciting!

I enjoyed the showing. A nice screen with an appreciative audience.

The only thing different that I noticed was the audio. The 35MM print REALLY rocks things that my U.S. DVD does not (and I've got a really good sound system). The volume, for example of the limo crash is significantly louder than the DVD not to mention the screaming of the joyriders.

I've seen the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari before but I wish to see it again. Lincoln Center also paired up MD with Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) which supposedly as some of the same dream structures alone with a magician and a woman showering in the nude (not to mention a murder mystery). I haven't seen in yet, just didn't have the time to do a double feature.

Previous

Return to Mulholland Dr.