Scott Coffey's 'Ellie Parker' vs MD

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
blu

Scott Coffey's 'Ellie Parker' vs MD

Postby blu » 11 Mar 2013

I'm being a bit lazy here and copying something over from RT that I wrote back in 2005. Worth putting here in case RT ever goes delete crazy and prunes a load of old posts.

Film first came to my attention because it's directed by and stars Scott Coffey (Wilkins in MD) and also features Mark Pellegrino (Joe Messing) and Naomi Watts.

IMDB synopsis:

"Ellie Parker" is a day in the life of an Australian actress (whom the film is named after) trying to survive in Hollywood. The audience gets a voyeuristic view of Ellie's trials & tribulations while en route to various auditions throughout the day, as well as the many people she encounters.

As I wrote way back then ...

Firstly, I'd recommend all MD fans (and especially Naomi fans) to see this film. It's not necessarily a great or original film, but you'll enjoy it. Just seeing Diane, Hitman Joe and Wilkins fooling around together in the same film is enough for me.

By the way ... Naomi is awesome in this. A real treat.

Ok - so on with the MD references/connections/parallels.

I guess in any film about Hollywood and the movies, you're gonna get certain things repeated. Maybe these things are direct connections to particular films, but maybe not. I'll throw them out there and you dudes can go rent or buy the DVD and make your own minds up.

SPOILERS AHEAD

1. The obligatory palm trees over head shot:

2. Ellie goes for an audition. Dang. If the director dyed his hair black he'd look real familiar.

3. Naturally, Ellie is a knockout and has the assembled peeps applauding in awe.

(By the way - checkout the casting director on the far right. Also looks familiar. This girl is Jennifer Syme - the girl that MD is dedicated to).

4. Later the same day - Ellie has another audition. That gate look familiar?

5. Inside the studio - Lost Highway poster behind Ellie:

6. This one really needs a speech bubble, but Ellie is saying to her friend: "I don't know who I am ... "

7. This shot just looks like an imitation of Diane at the pool party:

8. Poor Ellie. She drives home from the studio, walks down a long corridor in her home only to find her boyfriend (Hitman Joe) fucking the casting chick from earlier. IN THEIR BED.

9. Naturally, Ellie is non too plussed with this and proceeds to vomit the blue ice cream she'd been scoffing on the way home.

10. This is the girl.

11. A car crash in LA brings Wilkins and Diane back together. Here's Wilkins with long hair:

12. Here's Wilkins with short hair (trying to pretend to be the twin brother of the dude who crashed in to the back of Ellie, when really its the same guy but with shorter hair. Hm. A radical hair change for a main character in a film. That doesn't really happen all that often, does it?)

13. Well there has to be a girl-on-girl, blonde-brunette snogathon didn't there?

14. Here's a tip. Coffey didn't put that poster there for nothing:

15. Almost forgot ... Naomi and Scott get jiggy on the (green?) sofa. When they've finished, Scott says, "Well. I'm definitely gay." Ouch.

16. Ellie is not reacting too well to that comment. Dirtbag gets kicked out ...

There's more I'm sure.

Something about a party at Luigi's ...

Bob

Re: Scott Coffey's 'Ellie Parker' vs MD

Postby Bob » 19 May 2013

Another parallel to MD is how the movie came into being. The short version of the film premiered at the Sundance 2001 film festival. Coffey and Watts went back and shot more footage and turned the short into a feature length film released in 2005.

Siku

Postby Siku » 20 May 2013

The photo resume looked like someone else (not Naomi) to me. Had to pause the film and have a closer look.

can you explain screen shot 14? What's the connection between Living in Oblivion and MD?

Bob

Postby Bob » 20 May 2013

Siku, have you seen it? No spoilers:

There's a couple of subtle connections, like the actress/waitress duality

living-in-oblivion.jpg

... and a big "into-your-face-mr-lynch" moment here

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Siku

Postby Siku » 20 May 2013

No, but looks interesting. Recommend?

Re: Ellie Parker...
There's a general sense that Ellie's identity is fragmenting into all the roles she is forced to play for others. Very reminiscient of MD and IR.

More specifically, my heart leapt when she decided to leave Hollywood and go home (as many have speculated Diane is preparing to with her stuff in boxes in Sierra Bonita). Do you think the implication of the ending is that Ellie gives up on her dreams, rather than allowing them to drive her to self destruction as Diane did?

Bob

Postby Bob » 20 May 2013

Siku wrote:No, but looks interesting. Recommend?

A big YES. The movie is a treat.

Return to Mulholland Dr.