Ed´s strand of hair

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
kar

Ed´s strand of hair

Postby kar » 12 Feb 2013

I don´t know if this has already been posted.

This is the meaning of Ed´s strand of hair:

Joe is killing Ed = Diane is dreaming how the hitman is killing Camilla with a shot in the head

Compare Ed´s strand of hair (and the small drop of blood) with Rita´s strand of hair (and the wound at her head)
(10 minutes earlier after she comes out of the bathroom).

I don´t have the time to read all the posts of this forum or read all the theories of this website.
Can anybody tell me, what are the unsolved Questions of MD?
So I can concentrate on these facts, when I explain you the key piece of puzzle.
Thank you!

Siku

Re: Ed´s strand of hair

Postby Siku » 12 Feb 2013

You should find time, there's lots to learn.

By the way, aren't you supposed to be posting some more information on this thread? I know we all want to hear more.

I can hardly wait.

Coco & Betty.png

blu

Postby blu » 14 Feb 2013

Haha! Nice capture, Siku.

8-)

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 15 Feb 2013

Those scenes between Ann and Naomi are classic!! Sometimes I'm just sure Naomi is one beat away from breaking character and bursting out laughing.

kar

Postby kar » 15 Feb 2013

Just laugh at me. It´s ok. Probably I would do the same.
But wait until tuesday. I bet my discovering will nail you to your seat! ;-)

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 16 Feb 2013

ouch. i've never been nailed to my seat before.

also i can't speak for blu or siku, but i'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at Naomi and Ann who, in those scenes, seem to laughing at each other which is a sheer delight! I'm excited to hear another idea of the movie. BUT... please remember most of us who have had our own ideas about the movie have also been subject to the shameful indignity of having those ideas challenged by others who have different ideas. This game can be pretty rough. .. Agreement is rare in the Lynchverse because if we all agreed, then we'd all stop talking about the movie.

i just wish I didn't have to wait until Tuesday.

Siku

Postby Siku » 18 Feb 2013

kar wrote:Compare Ed´s strand of hair (and the small drop of blood) with Rita´s strand of hair (and the wound at her head)
(10 minutes earlier after she comes out of the bathroom).

I can't see any particular strand of Rita's hair when she comes out of the bathroom. Any chance of posting an image to clarify that, kar?

kar

Postby kar » 18 Feb 2013

I just tried to paste a snapshot but it didn´t work so I have to describe the scene:

She comes out of the bathroom. Betty is talking to her. She stumbles backwards to the wall (Bang! A bullet hits her head). Betty guides her to the bed . In the moment she is sitting down you can see her strand of hair and then she shows the wound to Betty.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 18 Feb 2013

Also note the strand of hair in her mouth as she stumbles away from the car wreck.

Siku

Postby Siku » 24 Feb 2013

kar wrote:Can anybody tell me, what are the unsolved Questions of MD?
So I can concentrate on these facts, when I explain you the key piece of puzzle.
Thank you!

Yes, kar, oh yes.

I can tell you the Number One unsolved question of Mulholland Dr...

Is Camilla real?

Is Camilla real or is she just Diane's idealised version of her ex-lover who lived next door?

Please see this thread because I'm not kidding, kar, I really want an answer to this.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 26 Feb 2013

Camilla is real.

Why can't DeRosa be the NON-idealised version of Camilla? What? Bear with me a second... I'll just riff on this a little bit as it would apply to the Bardo journey. The blue box breaks the "dreamplace" part of the movie and Diane wakes up in Sierra Bonita, the first person she encounters is DeRosa, a mannish looking woman who is coming by to get her stuff, and she gets her lamp, and then wants to be sure. She is not a happy camper. She is Camilla, in her first Bardo incarnation, depressed, ticked off, wanting to get a clean break, never wants to see Diane again. Refuses to forgive.

But then lets say back at her Sierra Bonita apartment DeRosa (I mean hate filled Camilla) realizes that she herself can not be her best self -- and move on -- if she does not (even though Diane had her killed) act out of divine love towards Diane and forgive Diane, she then suddenly appears in the kitchen with a sad look of forgiveness, and in that act Camilla is now her best, most idealised self, she even then tries to rekindle some love with Diane, but Diane can only respond sexually out of fear and conquest. So it must stop.

Camilla then kisses falls into Adam's chest, and then in one last ditch effort tries to get Diane to come out of her Bardo hell Sierra Bonita Apartment.

"IT'S NOT EASY FOR ME!"

So sure, let's say DeRosa and Camilla are incarnations of the same self-hood, but then why force ourselves to decide which one is more real???

Aren't they both real to the extent they are valid incarnations of her internal frame of mind and soul?

Xav

Postby Xav » 26 Feb 2013

According my view the corpse is as real as the pain caused by a brick falling on my toes. That corpse was a dirty blonde, who has a reference in Joe's black book. Talking about 'accidents', Ed's a long dirty blond hair-styled feminine sort of guy chewing toothpicks, owning a chain of keys. That's all I need to know to understand why Diane's dreaming mind brought together Joe, Ed, a black book and many keys (each representing a future kill?).

Siku

Postby Siku » 26 Feb 2013

kmkmiller, Xav,

We are at an impasse. We have three different interpretations, each requiring different things of the Lamp Lady.

Xav, your interpretation of events is elegant and ingenious but, like the classical interpretation, it doesn't observe or explain the doppelganger nature of Camilla and DeRosa.

kmkmiller, your bardo theory is not even in the same class of theories as the classical interpretation and Xav's 'three girl' story. Don't get me wrong, it's a compelling way to read the film and enriches the pool of possible explanations.

But I'm looking for something else. The shortest distance between two points. Parsimony. An explanation that is true to the classical interpretation, or at least disrupts it as little as possible, but also takes into account the DeRosa/Rhodes doppelganger phenomenum. If it turns out to be the thing that unravels the classical theory, that's fine.

I’m totally on board with seeing DeRosa as a non-idealised Camilla, but I’m inclined to judge her more real because she appears at the door, not just in Diane’s hallucinations and fantasies.

Kar? You did ask..
Last edited by Siku on 26 Feb 2013, edited 1 time in total.

kar

Postby kar » 26 Feb 2013

Siku wrote:But I'm looking for something else. The shortest distance between two points. Parsimony. An explanation that is true to the classical interpretation, or at least disrupts it as little as possible, but also takes into account the DeRosa/Rhodes doppelganger phenomenum. If it turns out to be the thing that unravels the classical theory, that's fine.

Camilla is real. DeRosa is real. They aren´t „doppelgänger“. Both have just dark hair and big breasts. This is no phenomenum.
There are millions of women on earth with dark hair and big breasts.

I´ve already given you my explanation of DeRosa. This is the shortest distance between two points.

DeRosa changed her appartment #17 with Diane´s appartment #12. But why? What are the reasons that anybody would do such a thing? And how do we know that this is the truth?

1. Diane is short of money. By loosing Camilla, she is loosing her income source (small roles in Camilla´s movies) and she takes most of her money to pay the hitman. She lives in #12 a bigger and more expensive appartment in a good condition.

2. DeRosa lives in the smaller and less expensive appartment #17. It´ s not in a quiet good condition.

3. DeRosa desires Diane.

4. DeRosa has similarities with Camilla. (dark hair, big breasts)

5. They changed appartments 3 weeks ago.

6. Diane´s relationship is broken. She was betrayed by Camilla. She is lonely, she is sad...

When you combine these facts you got the story:

After the break up between Diane and Camilla, DeRosa sees a chance to get in love with Diane. She is making Diane offers. Diane uses DeRosa to get over Camilla. Maybe they got a sexual relationship. Diane is using the fact, that DeRosa falls in love with her. She asks DeRosa, if they could change appartments, because she is short of money. DeRosa agreed. She is hoping that this will stick Diane to her. But after changing appartments, DeRosa realizes that Diane isn´t interested in her. It´s a one way love. (I think most of us have similary experiences.)

Her are the evidences:
Fact 1, (2) , (3) , 4 , 5 and 6: we can see/hear it in the reality scenes. (Party, Winkies, Diane talking with DeRosa).
You have to watch the acting and interacting (Diane-DeRosa).

Fact 2 is underpinned in the dreamscene, when Betty and Rita are exploring the appartmentcomplex and are talking to DeRosa. We can compare the facades of the appartments and we just have to watch the acting of DeRosa (look how she is reacting after betty mentioned the name Diane; and notice the disregarding look at Rita)

So far, I can imagine that this theory is not new. But here is the aha-moment:

Fact 3 can be proofed in a more hidden way:

Watch this scene:
The telephone conversation between Adam and his secretary, Cynthia. (at Park Hotel)
Adam, betrayed, broke and solitary (like Diane) is calling Cynthia. She has similarities with DeRosa.
At the end of the conversation, Cynthia is making him some clear offerings. (Cynthia is DeRosa)

Adam calls Cynthia a little doggie. Remember the dog dirt at Havenhurst. (to dog somebody...)
(Then go back to the scene, when Betty and Rita are talking to DeRosa:
The telephone is ringing. DeRosa is saying: I´ve got to get that! ...just like a secretary...

Siku

Postby Siku » 26 Feb 2013

Kar, you're repeating yourself now.

Please, I've read everything you've posted.

kar wrote:Camilla is real. DeRosa is real. They aren´t „doppelgänger“. Both have just dark hair and big breasts. This is no phenomenum.
There are millions of women on earth with dark hair and big breasts.

There are many more similarities and connections between DeRosa and Rhodes!

Would you like me to list them for you?

Next

Return to Mulholland Dr.