The abortion theory

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Siku

The abortion theory

Postby Siku » 29 Jan 2013

A few points occur to me on the abortion theory that aren't mentioned on the main site. I'd love to hear what others think - I'm sure there are heaps of details that can be tied into this perspective.

• Diana is the roman god of virginity, motherhood and child birth
  • Diane's anxiety about Aunt Ruth's absence
  • Diane's grandparents who, in the dream, vanish almost immediately
  • Lynch already dealt with the psychological burden of parenthood in Eraserhead
  • Coco's infamous line - If there is trouble, get rid of it!

woolfspersona

Re: The abortion theory

Postby woolfspersona » 23 Feb 2013

Interesting! "The girl is still missing . . ." and "This is the girl . . ." could both point to that. But who is the girl then?

I would love to figure out why in the dream Coco's last name is Lenoix and her son's is Kesher. To me that shows some rejection of one's child, assuming Adam Kesher is real and that's his name.

derekfnord

Re: The abortion theory

Postby derekfnord » 23 Feb 2013

woolfspersona wrote:I would love to figure out why in the dream Coco's last name is Lenoix and her son's is Kesher. To me that shows some rejection of one's child, assuming Adam Kesher is real and that's his name.

Out of those two characters, the only name heard in both the dream and the presumed reality is "Coco." "Lenoix" is only heard in the dream, and both "Adam" and "Kesher" are only heard in the dream. It's certainly an interesting question, though. :)

Return to Mulholland Dr.