Louise Bonner shadow in a window!

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Ray

Louise Bonner shadow in a window!

Postby Ray » 03 Dec 2012

I've searching in the forums for any post talking about this, but dind't find. Maybe i'm he only one i notice this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

From 2:12:15 timer on my DVD.

Is Louise Bonner... It seems like she is moving so stressed...
What the hell she's doing there?

Anyone did noticed this? or i'm viewing phantoms? :S
Breakfast in Caesar's -Done!-

blu

Re: Louise Bonner shadow in a window!

Postby blu » 04 Dec 2012

It's been mentioned before, quite some ago I think, but no one really has come up with a decent explanation for what (if anything) it means.

We know that Lynch would have noticed it, and could easily have reshot if he wanted, so that means he either intended it or it was one of those "happy accidents" he talks about from time to time.

Another idea I read was that the clue that talks about the appearances of the "man behind Winkies", well that's clearly played by a man, so there was some speculation about whether he might be referring to that person in the window. It could be intended to be Louise Bonner, or it could be someone/something else.

A puzzler.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 04 Dec 2012

the RT thread on this basically led one to believe this is actually Ed.

Ed's got a telescope and the connection to Hitchcock's Rear Window was made.

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 06 Dec 2012

It's Louise Bonner .... 'cause why?

Siku

Postby Siku » 07 Dec 2012

Could be detective Domgaard watching as Diane collects the blue key and piece of meat?

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 07 Dec 2012

I just realized what your avatar means in connection to Joe in the Ed's office scene.

Siku

Postby Siku » 11 Dec 2012

You mean that Joe's one blue eye and one brown eye connect him to Rita/Betty? Or, the killer is an amalgam of the two of them:

Persona moment.jpg

Actually I wanted to capture that one blue one brown 'Persona' moment, but the colours aren't really there. My current avatar is from this publicity shot I found.

Siku

Postby Siku » 11 Dec 2012

This shot:
MD Publicity Shot.jpg

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 12 Dec 2012

yeah, an amalgam of sorts. Joe would be, in the Joe and Ed scene an intersection point between the two. Sort of off topic. I would start a new thread on it, but i'm really trying to stay away from embedding my Grand Unified Theory into every gosh darn observation.

for now I just think it's interesting that your avatar reminds me a lot of the image on the left:

Siku

Postby Siku » 12 Dec 2012

We already have a thread on Joe's eyes. Please add your thoughts there or, if it's all about purgatory/bardo...

back on topic, I can't remember where I read that this person in the window is Louise Bonner, or WHY it could be her.

Anyone? ???

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 12 Dec 2012

got it, done. lets purge this off topic diversion.

Siku

Postby Siku » 18 Feb 2013

woolfspersona in this thread you said

woolfspersona wrote:Louise is a bit of a guardian dark angel to Diane Selwyn, watching Diane through the window helplessly as she seals the deal with the hitman at the diner.

Why do you think Louise is watching over Winkies from that window? This has been discussed before but at present none of us can recall the reasoning that suggests it is Louise at that window?

Siku

Postby Siku » 18 Feb 2013

Interesing idea on Louise in this thread:

Betty's audition script is delivered during the Louise Bonner scene. Whatever message Louis is bringing is connected to what's in that script.

08-03-2004 jro posted:

"That one is in my room and she won't leave. I want you to get her out" is best explainable in connection with Betty's audition line, "Get out before I kill you." The script is delivered to Betty at that point.

woolfspersona

Postby woolfspersona » 20 Feb 2013

Siku wrote:woolfspersona in this thread you said

woolfspersona wrote:Louise is a bit of a guardian dark angel to Diane Selwyn, watching Diane through the window helplessly as she seals the deal with the hitman at the diner.

Why do you think Louise is watching over Winkies from that window? This has been discussed before but at present none of us can recall the reasoning that suggests it is Louise at that window?

Well, right before we see Louise watching Diane we see Dan, Diane's other mirror, staring back at her. These mirrors occur right before and after Joe's hysterical laughing begins, symbolizing her rejecting her good, innocent, child-like side (Dan) and embracing a callous, suicidal, evil nature (Louise) and surrendering Camilla from her control, resulting in the attempted hit in the car. Note that Joe's eyes are both blue now, like Diane's, showing she no longer is trying to keep Camilla a part of her as she did in the (other) dream where one of Joe's eyes was brown (Camilla) and one blue (Diane) as you guys have mentioned.

Like Dan says, there are two dreams, but one of them (the one where Diane is called Diane) is just reality with hallucinations (i.e. the old couple screaming and running at her right before she shoots herself is obviously a hallucination) OR Diane in her paranoia adding exaggerated meaning to simple conversations, or observations, like Joe's eyes really both being blue being symbolic of something when really they are just blue as well as Camilla/Camilla's Husband/Camilla's New Lover (who appears in another hallucinatory imagining as the other dream's Camilla) having some malicious intent toward her at the dinner party when really Diane is just a replaced, discarded and harmless old lover (like Louise was!).

Anyway, Diane commits to her decision at this point, and we later see her alter Louise looking at the homeless woman (Camilla) through a window that faces the dumpster area, fully confronting and accepting what she has done.

That's my explanation in the context of my theory, though, and as we all know there are countless interpretations of this story. I just don't believe it's the homeless woman and not Louise because we see the homeless woman AND the woman behind the window in the same consecutive shots.

kar

Postby kar » 20 Feb 2013

Siku wrote:"That one is in my room and she won't leave. I want you to get her out"

In my opinion Louise Bonner also represents the bum.
"That one"=the corpse
"is in my room"= the blue dumpster

Next

Return to Mulholland Dr.