No Posts in a While -- Life on Mars

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
kmkmiller

No Posts in a While -- Life on Mars

Postby kmkmiller » 17 Oct 2012

Recently watched the U.S. version and noted there were copious amounts of red curtains in the mobsters dance (it's 1973 people) club. And then went and downloaded the Bowie song and listening to it closely, I suddenly felt like I was listening to a song version of Mulholland Drive.

It's a god-awful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair
But her mummy is yelling, "No!"
And her daddy has told her to go
But her friend is nowhere to be seen
Now she walks through her sunken dream
To the seat with the clearest view
And she's hooked to the silver screen
But the film is a saddening bore
For she's lived it ten times or more
She could spit in the eyes of fools
As they ask her to focus on...

and then it goes to the chorus and it's no longer Mulholland Drive (or Inland Empire for that matter, although the guy who wrote and developed Life on Mars (US version) wrote Mission Impossible GHOST protocol and there was a green train car in that movie numbered..... yep ..... 47.

Just to be clear I'm not saying there is a direct connection between the song Life On Mars and Mulholland Drive, but I do like to call it an organic connection. I like to use music as an analogy, thousands of songs use the 12 bar blues chord progression to some degree. But that doesn't mean they are copying each other or referencing each other, it just means that the 12 bar blues chord progression is so organic to folk to music, and blues, musicians who never heard each others music are still likely to land on it.

Likewise Mr. Bowie and Mr. Lynch. Maybe not a direct influence, but I am convinced they were after the same big fish and so it only stands to reason Life On Mars (the Bowie song) -- organically -- resembles the plot of Mulholland Drive (and Inland Empire). While Life On Mars (the TV show) resembles (at least in some small way) Twin Peaks, which i bet is more of a direct influence as Twin Peaks basically influences every TV Show to some degree.

Siku

Re: No Posts in a While -- Life on Mars

Postby Siku » 18 Oct 2012

Good spot! I've let those lyrics drift through me hundreds of times and never saw the connection. One thing though, shouldn't it be "Her MUMMY has told her to go"?

- That one is in my room again, I want her out!
&
- Get out! Get out!

BTW Leaving MD aside for a moment, what is the connection between Life on Mars the song and Life on Mars the TV program? I only watched the first UK series but never saw a connection between the two, just a shared title.

kmkmiller

Re: No Posts in a While -- Life on Mars

Postby kmkmiller » 18 Oct 2012

what is the connection between Life on Mars the song and Life on Mars the TV program? I only watched the first UK series but never saw a connection between the two, just a shared title.

there may not be a connection, or rather only a connection brought about by sci-fi genre writers (Bradbury is one) who have been inclined to think of Mars as a sort of heaven (or, yes, one trick pony that I am, a purgatory), a place where people go when they die. and while I haven't seen the UK Life On Mars TV show, the US version was pretty "on the nose" about how 1973 was a sort of afterlife.

On the face of it... No. Reading through Bowie's lyric for Life on Mars? all by itself, it's really almost more of an indictment of American movie/TV show culture (but then so is Mulholland Drive so it still connects on that level to Mulholland Drive, anyway).

I just can't say Life on Mars? the song has that intention, but we can say it's open to that interpretation.

The fact that Bowie also wrote Space Oddity helps because that one definitely stinks of afterlife implications.

Return to Mulholland Dr.