DeRosa, Roommates, and Timelines

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Erniesam

Re: DeRosa, Roommates, and Timelines

Postby Erniesam » 30 Oct 2013

This post by derekfnord started me thinking again about this fantasy sequence. He made an exellent observation and that is that after the break up with Camilla she invites Diane to the party. It realy never occured to me that that would be very odd indeed.

I don't believe the fantasy sequence is arranged in an achronological order. Rather I see it as different attempts by Diane to escape into her fantasy and in this sequence of attempts we see reality gradually creeping in.

So, during the masturbation scene Diane is trying desperately to create the fantasy she had before Camilla says: "We shouldn't do this anymore." She does not succeed, because we hear the knocking of reality on the door and indeed the next scene gives us Diane keeping Camilla out. We must remember that Diane distorts reality and in reality it was Camilla who kept Diane from getting the part and keeping Diane from Hollywood in general. We can also see the symbolism with the roommate of Diane, who in reality threw her out.

When Camilla calls Diane and invites her to the party we enter another attempt by Diane to create a more pleasant fantasy. This one also fails. During the party scene we have two segments which begin with a blurring image. Both are attempts by Diane to create a better fantasy or to escape that particular fantasy. The first blurring image we see right after the introduction at the terras. Here Diane is very awkward and shy. She feels less than the other three persons. So she wants to escape that fantasy, but after the blurring we are still at the party.

The next blur is right after Coco gives Diane a pityful tap on the hand. Diane tries to escape this fantasy again, but again does not suceed. Right after the next blur we get a close up of the coffee cup of Diane with a motive that can be interpreted as S.O.S. Diane is desperate in need of help, since she cannot escape this fantasy in which she does not want to be.

That at least is my interpretation. So, the scenes to me seem definitely in chronological order, exept they represent different stages in Diane's fantasy.

Erniesam

Re: DeRosa, Roommates, and Timelines

Postby Erniesam » 01 Nov 2013

O dear I goofed. The scene with Diane keeping Camilla out is just BEFORE the masturbation scene. It is the ringing of the telephone that is the beginning of the next attempt by Diane to dive into a more pleasant fantasy. Furthermore this ringing stands for reality trying to get in touch with Diane and that's why when Diane hears this she is disturbed and irritated, though the fantasy begins reasonably pleasant (it is Camilla trying to make up).

Previous

Return to Mulholland Dr.