Betty Rhodes

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Siku

Betty Rhodes

Postby Siku » 23 Feb 2012

Betty Jane Rhodes was a Hollywood actress and singer who starred alongside Ann Miller (Coco) in a number of movies. Apparently they were something of a team.

Here are the lyrics to her most famous song I Don't Want to Walk Without You, first performed in the 1942 Paramount Pictures film Sweater Girl (in which college kids solve a murder mystery while also putting on a show):

All our friends keep knocking at the door
They've asked me out a hundred times or more
But all I say is, "Leave me in the gloom"
And here I stay within my lonely room

'Cause...

I don't want to walk without you, Baby
Walk without my arm about you, Baby
I thought the day you left me behind
I'd take a stroll and get you right off my mind
But now I find that
I don't want to walk without the sunshine
Why'd you have to turn off all that sunshine?
Oh, Baby, please come back or you'll break my heart for me
'Cause I don't want to walk without you
No, siree

Erskine

Re: Betty Rhodes

Postby Erskine » 23 Feb 2012

Nice catch. Noticed upon viewing lastnight that I'm quite certain Betty is spelled "Bettie" on a note signed AuntRuth that is pinned to the garment/blanket that Betty covers "Rita" with. Betty and Bettie. Perhaps there is no Rita, only a Betty and Bettie. The dark haired woman picks a name, Rita. If Betty represents part of a whole with the other half missing and if there is a note with Bettie spelled on it, in which the camera focuses on as she places the cover on top of the dark haired woman using the name Rita we may see that it saying, hey, this is Bettie of Betty and Bettie who is 2 in 1.

Theres sometimes a buggy, how many driver(s) does a buggy have?

2 in 1?

Split personality

or

Doppleganger

1 imitates 1

David Lynch stated the 3rd Act is Love.

At the beginning of the film in a ghostly fashion we see an image of what appears to be a Betty/Diane flanked by two old persons.

At the end we see what we may still believe is a Betty/Diane with a Rita/Camilla that is dolled up to look like a Betty/Diane in the same ghostly fashion, though one of them appears reluctant, a bit uneasy.

A reunion? Is a reunion love?

What happens if my split personality leaves, runs away, is killed or dies? What if it can't remember it's name?

Do they come back?

or

Do I have to join them?

A love triangle with a split personality. There isn't enough room for three. What happens to the third?

The Girl is still missing.

Siku

Postby Siku » 24 Feb 2012

Scroll to the bottom:

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/cast/rita.htm

On the right hand side is a still of the signature Betty signs off the note with. Looks like it's 'Bitsie'. But notice how it also incorporates the word 'Rita' (flashing in Red'.

How cool is that?

Erskine

Postby Erskine » 24 Feb 2012

Geesh, a whole new head scratcher with that one. Hmm...

Erniesam

Postby Erniesam » 26 Oct 2013

That's a nice one you've dug up there, Siku. Didn't know that. It seems to me that that's where Lynch got the names Betty and Rhodes from (along with casting Miller I reckon).

Also your observation of the note by Aunt Ruth is a doozy. That totally escaped my attention.

Return to Mulholland Dr.