My Personal Analysis

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
RinoTheBouncer

My Personal Analysis

Postby RinoTheBouncer » 21 Aug 2011

Dear Club Silencio Members,
I've watched the film multiple times and I loved the story of the movie, and it really is beautiful even if you look at it as a love story, it's sad.
There are many analysis on the mulholland-drive.net website, I loved the theories and agree with some of them.

I also had my own theory about the deeper meaning of the film regarding Hollywood since Lynch meant the movie to have meanings about Hollywood.
Dealing with this thing alone, disregarding the fact that it's a love story and all.

I found deeper meanings for the scene of the two men at Winkie's, the two men, specially the one who saw the dream (who passes out later when he sees the "Monster") are probably Gay. I personally have nothing against Gay people nor I mean this as an insult at all but from the looks of them and their conversation, they didn't sound like friends. I believe the fact that they showed this man passing out after talking about his dream and the whole movie showing a lesbian love story is about how Hollywood deals with movies. These days, Lesbian themes / references in movies are exposed a lot and considered "Hot" and many drama, action and even horror movies show lesbians and over expose women as some sort of attraction and a way to gain more male viewers while Gay themes aren't very common, not even half common as the lesbian themes and if they appear, they're barely noticeable, like the two men, you don't seem them holding hands, kissing or sharing love words, you just barely notice them it's because many straight male / female fans consider it "Ew" or are totally opposing homosexuality when it comes to men.

The movie showed a long long love story between two women, love, sex, emotions and all the details of it while we barely see a very short part for the two men. So whether the actors themselves are Gay or they portray a Gay role in cinema, they're not wanted and concentrated on like women. They have a dream, they come to hollywood to fulfill it yet they're terrified by this "Monster" the monster of rejection and frustration that they face.

I know there are openly Bisexual / Gay actors yet they are pretty limited in number, not as well-known as straight and if they are, they don't portray these day roles often if at all. So this is something about cinema and Hollywood and how things go there regarding the most personal parts of the actor's life.

Another thing is the "Higher Power" intervention, in the movie we see A LOT OF phone calls from unknown people to unknown people and later we see that scene when Adam, The Director is forced to choose a certain actress, and then he's threatened by that cowboy, so this is a pretty clear that some higher power is intervening in movies and the way they're produced, their actors / actress and probably their stories and subjects too. We see men in suits and ties, pretty heated up conversation with the director when we first see him so Hollywood does control movies, music, directing, production and everything, there could be a political reason for that, conspiracy theories ...etc. What I'm saying many not have been directly mentioned in the movie yet we see pretty mysterious scenes involving more mysterious men in pretty mysterious and rich environments.

People get assigned for a movie while they're unknown and there are a lot of more worthy actors / actresses, people get killed for getting a role, There are bigger meanings to this, including the contents of the first portion of the film involving Betty and Rita, The money, the first scene when Rita is about to be shot ...etc.

I guess that's all I have for now, I'll be posting more as soon as I have more theories.

RinoTheBouncer

Re: My Personal Analysis

Postby RinoTheBouncer » 23 Feb 2013

Bump to share it with new visitors :)

Return to Mulholland Dr.