Mulholland Drive references...

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Bob

Re: Mulholland Drive references...

Postby Bob » 27 Sep 2011

Has it been mentioned before? Joe's butchered hit on Ed seems to draw from two scenes in Pulp Fiction:

a) Vince's accidental discharge of his gun in the car, giving Marvin a headshot -> Ed's splattered brain. (There's also a visual connection to Rita's ambush in the opening of MD)
md1.jpg
gun.jpg
Pulp-Fiction2.jpg

b) bullet holes in the wall after the failed assassin on Jules and Vince
md2.jpg
pulpfiction_bullets.jpg

And let me throw in another observation: Tarantino's character in a shabby dressing gown who's coffee gets a nod of assent by Harvey Keitel's character. :hmm:

Pulp-Fiction.jpg

Enrico

Postby Enrico » 25 Dec 2011

I just discovered a new song reference contained in the scene where Diane and Camilla are topless in the Sierra Bonita cottage. The dialog from the English subtitles is:

Diane: What was that you were saying beautiful?

Camilla: I said. "You drive me wild." (long pause)

Camilla: We shouldn't do this anymore.

The middle line is the only one I recall from the subtitles that uses quotation marks. My first though was of a rock & roll line from Kiss, but that one was "We drive you wild." So I searched it and got the song "You drive me wild" from Joan Jett and the Runaways. The lyrics are about loneliness, and being sex crazed.

I always thought that the flip from "you drive me wild" to "we shouldn't do this anymore" was kinda weird and extreme. But now I think Camilla is NOT saying that she is really driven wild, she is telling Diane what she wants to hear. Diane's line is a cliche or line from somewhere, so Camilla throws another one back at her. Though in Camilla's line, the song lyrics do have special meaning.
Sometimes you could hear the whisperings of all the great people who had lived here.

Enrico

Postby Enrico » 25 Dec 2011

Here are the lyrics from "You drive me wild" from Joan Jett and the Runaways.

You know when you're close you really turn me on
Thats why I want you so bad when your gone, yeah
Come on, come on and take me home
Please stay with me and don't you leave me alone

You drive me wild
Yeah yeah
You know you do
Uh huh
You drive me wild
You know I need you

You're on my mind always my one desire
Lets get together and build us a fire
Make me tremble make me shake
Pleasin' each other rockin' till daybreak

You drive me wild
Yeah yeah
You know you do
Uh huh
You drive me wild
You know I need you

Don't hold off do it, I need your lovin'
I'm getting so hot I'm cooking like an oven
My head is all filled with crazy thoughts
Love like this just can't be bought

You drive me wild
Yeah yeah
You know you do
Uh huh
You drive me wild
You know I need you
Sometimes you could hear the whisperings of all the great people who had lived here.

Bob

Postby Bob » 03 Jun 2012

Rewatched A.I. (2001) today and two shots stimulated the MD area in my brain. Both films were made around the same time, so we have to assume this to be coincidental. The plot revolves around a robot boy who desperately seeks to become human in hope to attain the love of his human mother. Btw, A.I. was Kubrick's child before he handed the project over to Spielberg. The visuals:

a) the effect of the shower screen reflections in MD is brought to a whole new level in A.I. where the entire house is equipped with those panes
md-shower.jpg

A.I.3.jpg

A.I.1.jpg

b) the film concludes with a "hands!" scene similar to the one with Diane and Camilla on the secret path. In A.I. it is basically a dream sequence in which the boy's wish comes true of being finally reunited with his mother. They are shown walking hand in hand up the stairs to the bed room where ...
they lie down to die as the dream comes to an end (personal interpretation).
A.I.2.jpg

I could go on theorizing about the mysterious central figure of the Blue [haired] Fairy but I am not going there.
blue-fairy-a.i..jpg

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 04 Jun 2012

Bob wrote:Has it been mentioned before? Joe's butchered hit on Ed seems to draw from two scenes in Pulp Fiction:

a) Vince's accidental discharge of his gun in the car, giving Marvin a headshot -> Ed's splattered brain. (There's also a visual connection to Rita's ambush in the opening of MD)
md1.jpg
gun.jpg
Pulp-Fiction2.jpg

b) bullet holes in the wall after the failed assassin on Jules and Vince
md2.jpg
pulpfiction_bullets.jpg

Surely, there is a better connection that gone past you, like smoke in the air. :angel:

Bob

Postby Bob » 23 Jun 2012

Not sure if it was meant as an homage to MD but have a look at 0:20 of this scene from The Muppets.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 29 Jun 2012

One is Diane Jansen from the TV Show LOST.

The other is well, you know.

blu

Postby blu » 30 Jun 2012

That's an excellent catch. :up:

Bob

Postby Bob » 25 Aug 2012

Here's a scene from A Star Is Born (1954) with possible connections to Club Silencio. I haven't seen it but the plot sounds kinda interesting: "A movie star helps a young singer/actress find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral."

On my to-watch list ...

Edit: I just found out that Conte Candoli, the trumpet player in MD, died end of 2001. :-(

Bob

Postby Bob » 28 Aug 2012

Bedside confession in Annie Hall (watch to the end for some funny moment :D)

Bob

Postby Bob » 04 Sep 2012

Just caught this by accident on youtube and thought it's worth a mention. What you see here is a dream sequence from Blood and Roses (1960). Fast forward to mark 3:30 (NSFW)

That scene prompted me to do a little research. Blood and Roses is loosely based on the novel Carmilla (1872), a vampire story of the Victorian age. The parallels to MD in a nutshell:
A young, yet composed, raven-haired woman going by the name of Carmilla is involved in a carriage accident, that renders her unconscious. She finds herself being nursed by the perky and naive maiden Laura. Both enter into a lesbian relationship. Like the staged name Rita in MD, we learn that Carmilla's real name was actually Mircalla and she's a vampire exploiting young women for obvious reasons. She ends up being killed, or does she?

The similarities to MD and Rita/Camilla being a (wo)men-eating Femme Fatal are evident. Also notice the foreign accent which echoes MD-Camilla's Hispanic background.
The original story can be read here: http://www.english.upenn.edu/~nauerbac/crml.html

Looks like another contender for my watchlist.

Bob

Postby Bob » 16 Sep 2012

Here's a bloody hilarious scene from Living in Oblivion (1995), obviously poking fun at Lynch's surreal imagery in Twin Peaks. :2up:

MAGICIAN

Postby MAGICIAN » 16 Sep 2012

somethingbad wrote:Hamlet - William Shakespeare

"Good night sweet Betty." - "Good night sweet prince."

I'd seen the quote linked before but the penny's just dropped with me for a resonance with MD - forgive me if I'm late to the table with this one but Eng Lit revision just kicked in!

The character of Hamlet stages a play within the play where the actors will re-enact a scene very similar to the killiing of Hamlet's own father. His uncle murdered his father to take the crown. As big H says, "The play's the thing wherein we'll catch the conscience of the king."

Seems very Lynch :-) Imagine Rita saying it to the corpse as was the case in Hamlet!

That's interesting. I always thought that 'Goodnight sweet Betty' was a reference to the film 'Hush...hush, sweet Charlotte' (1964). This film starred Bette Davis and was directed by Robert Aldrich. I've never seen this film, though. Could be a coincidence.
Here's a plot summary: An aging, reclusive southern belle, plagued by a horrifying family secret, descends into madness after the arrival of a lost relative.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.

MAGICIAN

Postby MAGICIAN » 18 Sep 2012

There are numerous, subtle connections between MD and Hitchcock's 'Shadow Of A Doubt', including a dance scene planted in the intro. The thing that is most striking is the likeness between the two female leads, (Naomi Watts and Teresa Wright). Not only are their faces very similar, but Wright's character 'Charlie' has that innocent, naive, excitable character that preempts Betty Elms (compare Betty's early scenes with Charlie's early scenes in which she eagerly awaits her uncle's arrival).

http://youtu.be/XX8N1Wu8Q_0

http://www.littlegoldenguy.com/people.asp?peopid=5361
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 19 Sep 2012

coinkidinky file.

REVOLUTION is a new TV series (not that good, but TV series can be up and down) and the main character is this girl called Charlie and her birth name is, of course, Charlotte.

Thought that was pretty creepy.

PreviousNext

Return to Mulholland Dr.