Ruth's Closet

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
andthendougsaid

Ruth's Closet

Postby andthendougsaid » 05 Nov 2010

When Rita opens the closet to get the blue box, while the clothes and everything else seem to be the same as before, the suitcases on the floor appear different, and at least one is much shorter.

Here are the original suitcases:
second.png
Standing suitcase (note that it reaches the "Y" on the Asian gown)
second2.png
Boxy suitcase

And here they are (much clearer) later on
donde.png
All boxy

Perhaps this is just a continuity error, but could it be an indication that Aunt Ruth has already "returned"? I can't think of any interesting interpretations. Of course, these bags are much smaller than the ones she put in the taxi at the beginning, so it doesn't make much sense for her to have moved them even if she'd been around. Either way, the woman seems to have quite a bit of luggage.

marksman

Re: Ruth's Closet

Postby marksman » 05 Nov 2010

<deleted>
Last edited by marksman on 08 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

andthendougsaid

Postby andthendougsaid » 05 Nov 2010

Those are some interesting ideas. It might also be worthwhile to note the relative positions of the picture frame and clock in the pictures above and these ones...

first.png
First shot of the nightstand (I think)
first.png (20.29 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
ruth.png
Nightstand when Ruth comes in
ruth.png (74.72 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

The ones from my original post go between these. The picture frame is right behind Rita in the "donde" screenshot. I'm unable to make out the clock in the last shot of the nightstand, but in general the two pieces seem to be gradually trading places.

marksman

Postby marksman » 05 Nov 2010

<deleted>
Last edited by marksman on 08 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » 06 Nov 2010

andthendougsaid wrote:Perhaps this is just a continuity error, but could it be an indication that Aunt Ruth has already "returned"? I can't think of any interesting interpretations. Of course, these bags are much smaller than the ones she put in the taxi at the beginning, so it doesn't make much sense for her to have moved them even if she'd been around. Either way, the woman seems to have quite a bit of luggage.

Nice observation! I love that sort of thing.

Lynch is known as a bit of a perfectionist yet there seems to be enough continuity errors in the film to make one ponder ... what's going on? :scratch:
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

Return to Mulholland Dr.