Who is Adam?

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Cowboy

Re: Who is Adam?

Postby Cowboy » 03 Nov 2010

marksman wrote:As Diane could not remember the name of the director of The Sylvia North Story at the party, despite being present on the set when her beloved Camilla was kissing Adam in the car, it follows that at least one of those 2 scenes is a dream.

There is a difference between your perception and fact. There is a big difference between someone unable to come up with a director's name and choosing not to give the name. Diane also chooses not to state her aunt's name and I'm pretty sure she knows what it is. ;-) Now, even IF Diane is completely making up her Aunt (a possibility), by uttering Bob Brooker name gives him status and the last thing Diane wants is to utter the name of her nemesis. Check the look that she gives Wilkins when he mentions Brooker's name ... utter contempt.

Further, you have made the leap that the Camilla kissing Adam set scene is a TSNS scene. Why can't this just be another film where the star Camilla got Diane a bit part - much as Diane indicates to Coco?
Last edited by Cowboy on 03 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

dk23

Postby dk23 » 03 Nov 2010

vicster111 wrote:Maybe the whole 'recasting' element in the first half of the film was 'this man' finding a new love interest.

Did anyone here address this?

I mean, if we put the two parts of the movie together....

The second ends with Theroux's character about to marry Harring's character, but this is interrupted by Diane's hit. The first part begins with a hit attempt on the Harring character. She escapes. Then we see Adam needing to 'recast' his lead actress.
Last edited by dk23 on 03 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

marksman

Postby marksman » 03 Nov 2010

<deleted>
Last edited by marksman on 08 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

blu

Postby blu » 03 Nov 2010

marksman wrote:Cowboy, during the film set scene, we do hear someone (off camera) say,"The Sylvia North Story."

In the audition scene with Melissa George and the hot brunette Carol, we do indeed. In the convertible scene with Camilla we don't.

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » 03 Nov 2010

dk23 wrote:
vicster111 wrote:And who is this blonde that seems to want it so badly? Why was she dressed from the 1960s at the dinner party when everyone else was modern?

Sounds like another good idea for a new thread. How about creating a thread entitled 'Who is Blonde Camilla Rhodes?' or the like?
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

marksman

Postby marksman » 03 Nov 2010

<deleted>
Last edited by marksman on 08 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

vicster111

Postby vicster111 » 23 Nov 2010

I just wanted to revisit this subject.

I stated before that I thought Adam was a big jerk in the second half of the film. However, in the first part of the film we find it in ourselves to find sympathy for him. He's the opposite of the Adam we see at the end. I think that Adam is teaching Diane lessons, just as we see Cowboy teaching Adam lessons. Adam is Diane's true 'Cowboy'.

When we hear comments from him that sound sarcastic, it is just a poor attempt on his part at being funny. Cynthia would know, and she calls him 'funny boy'.

When we see Adam act badly in the first part of the film, he's standing up for what he believes in...things that effect who he is and, therefore, things worth fighting for.

Someone's asking (excuse me, telling) him to be 'unfaithful' to his art. His wife is unfaithful to him. These are valid reasons to get angry and want to fight back.

The Cowboy is just as much a 'jerk' in the 'dream' as Adam is in the 'reality'. He's not being polite when he refers to Adam's 'nice' hotel. He's being a smart aleck. And then he has the nerve to tell Adam to stop being a smart aleck. That's how I see it.

BTW, who does Adam see immediately after he makes his choice? ("You will see me one more time if you do good") He sees Luigi. And did anyone notice that Luigi seems to have come from nowhere? He mysteriously appeared, like poking from behind a curtain, behind Jason? Mysteriously appeared just like the Cowboy did?

vicster111

Adam is Diane's true 'Cowboy'.

He's teaching her a lesson on what is appropriate to 'react' to. Unfortunately, he doesn't show her the correct way 'react'. And she sees the consequences.

Twice Diane is told to think, pause for a moment, before she acts/reacts. Cowboy tells Adam to think for a second. Bob Booker tells Woody "Just don't rush that line again". "Bobby, acting is reacting."

These things tell me that either Diane has made a bad decision before thinking it through and wishes she had chosen differently, or she is about to make a decision and what we see is her 'sleeping on it'.

blu

Postby blu » 23 Nov 2010

vicster111 wrote:The Cowboy is just as much a 'jerk' in the 'dream' as Adam is in the 'reality'. He's not being polite when he refers to Adam's 'nice' hotel. He's being a smart aleck. And then he has the nerve to tell Adam to stop being a smart aleck. That's how I see it.

How much of a jerk is Adam in reality?

We don't really know. It seems to be implied that Diane is jealous and angry towards him for what she might consider stealing her lover, but all we see is Adam directing Camilla on the set of an unnamed film where Camilla is the one who asks for Diane to stay, and at the party where Adam is lording it up a little as the host. For all we know, Adam has no idea about the relationship between Diane and and Camilla and is completely oblivious to the distress Diane is feeling.

vicster111 wrote:BTW, who does Adam see immediately after he makes his choice? ("You will see me one more time if you do good") He sees Luigi. And did anyone notice that Luigi seems to have come from nowhere? He mysteriously appeared, like poking from behind a curtain, behind Jason? Mysteriously appeared just like the Cowboy did?

That's Ray. I got the pair of them confused a few times too.

ray.jpg

vicster111

And I thought it was Luigi all this time. Lol!

Anyway, Ray makes it even more intriguing. Especially when you consider this:

http://mulholland-drive.net/cast/ray.htm

Is this what 'Aunt Ruth' is to Diane? Is Aunt Ruth the part of herself she consults when she has a dilemma? But 'Aunt Ruth' has either 'left the building' or, worse yet, 'died'?

If so, consider that Diane came all the way from 'Deep River, Ontario' (insanity) to consult with her only to find that she's 'making a movie in Canada' (creating illusions while dead).

All of the younger 'Aunt Ruths' are symbollic of her impending 'trip'.

blu

Postby blu » 23 Nov 2010

vicster111 wrote:And I thought it was Luigi all this time. Lol!

Anyway, Ray makes it even more intriguing. Especially when you consider this:

http://mulholland-drive.net/cast/ray.htm

Tristanlove's quote is from a chance meeting with Little Mike where she worked. She managed to grab him for 10mins and have a quick chat about MD. I think they even traded phone numbers but nothing came of it. Little Mike is a player. ;-)

Tristan had her account deleted over at RT due for personal reasons. Shame. We lost a lot of good posts there.

Anyway, this is the quote to save people navigating away:

Michael J. Anderson was playing Ray. He IS Ray. This is not negotiable. David told the guy who played Ray, that he wants to bring in "little Mike" to play his character. He represents him. In the pilot, Ray has to go deeper and deeper into a building, down corridors, through doors - metaphorically deeper into his own subconscious to find a justification for what he has to do.

The 'deeper into his subconscious' bit is interesting. Finding a justification for what he has to do does sound like what may be going through Diane's mind. Perhaps that could be what she's doing by twisting her flashbacks to paint Camilla as a malicious spiteful bitch ... justifying her paying someone to kill her.

Previous

Return to Mulholland Dr.