An observation regarding Ed

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
vicster111

An observation regarding Ed

Postby vicster111 » 01 Nov 2010

Has anyone noticed that Ed is the only person killed where we actually see any blood? Not even the guy on the ground outside of the car after the accident has any blood on him.

Does this possibly signify that Ed is the only person who was actually killed? Or that Ed is the only person who was 'real'? And, if so, what would this mean?

Maybe Ed kinda mirrors Nikki's hubby in Inland Empire. He's a man that "knows everything". Not only does Ed keep a book and have a ton of filing cabinets, but he also has a telescope in his office and a bunch of keys that are hanging on the side of the window. He 'sees' a lot, has keys that give him access to the 'unseen' and keeps a record of everything.

Did Diane actually hire Joe to kill Ed, and not Camilla, because Ed had some 'dirt' on either her or Camilla (regarding Luigi, perhaps)?

Or...

Did Camilla hire Joe to kill Ed (because he had dirt on her regarding Luigi) and Diane assisted her (because she had contacts, such as Joe) by being the one who actually met with Joe and gave him the payment? So the money, in essence, was Camilla's? Diane showing Joe the picture of Camilla was just Diane showing Joe who he was really working for?

I am gonna keep the wheels turning in my head and think about this some more. I think Luigi plays a bigger role as well...just a gut feeling.

Another interesting thing noticed: Adam, Rita and Ed are the only people we see bleed.

danieltx

Re: An observation regarding Ed

Postby danieltx » 01 Nov 2010

The corpse Betty and Rita find in the apartment at Sierra Bonita has blood on the face.

You have some unique ideas here, ones that I haven't seen mentioned before, although I think they over-analyze these characters with relation to the film. I could definitely see possibilities if it had actually been a television series - for example, the Castigliane brothers have a few more scenes in the original pilot. It really makes you wonder how the story would have unfolded if it had a few seasons to develop.

blu

Postby blu » 01 Nov 2010

We also lost some blood from the face of the bum at some point, judging by this behind the scenes photo posted by someone on IMDb recently.

Untitled2.jpg

vicster111

Postby vicster111 » 02 Nov 2010

As for me, I see no evidence of blood on the corpse. I'll take another look.

While we're on the subject of the bum, doesn't she seem like a female version of Ed? I've always thought there was a sort of resemblance between the two.

The blood in blu's pic, above, doesn't match the injuries Ed has (or anyone else's injuries, for that matter). The blood is around her mouth. And it is interesting that the 'bloodied bum' wasn't used in the film.

Return to Mulholland Dr.