Is MD really about people in the film business?

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
marksman

Is MD really about people in the film business?

Postby marksman » 26 Oct 2010

<deleted>
Last edited by marksman on 08 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

ctyankee

Re: Is MD really about people in the film business?

Postby ctyankee » 26 Oct 2010

So, in your viewpoint is MD Adam-centric or his story just a story arc? What's Diane's story? I ask that because you have some of her scenes in reality (as opposed to a dream).

marksman

<deleted>

blu

Postby blu » 26 Oct 2010

marksman wrote:I don't know what anyone else will make of my ideas. I can't see the point in explaining my version in any more detail, unless others can see where I am coming from, and are curious to know the full story.

It's difficult to tell exactly where you're coming from without hearing more, and I'm always curious and interested to hear new ideas. ;-)

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 26 Oct 2010

marksman wrote:I don't know what anyone else will make of my ideas. I can't see the point in explaining my version in any more detail, unless others can see where I am coming from, and are curious to know the full story.

Well, I wouldn't have asked if I weren't curious. But blu, hit it on the head ... it's hard to know where you're coming from other than the broad construct of the witness protection story arc. Certainly I'll have to check out Bullitt because besides the car chase scenes I really don't remember much of the film.

Are Adam's scenes real or dreams? And again, what is Diane's story?

marksman

<deleted>

marksman

<deleted>

blu

Postby blu » 26 Oct 2010

Good posts dude.

I appreciate the effort. It sounds like you have some pretty rounded out ideas. I'm going to have a think about some of this, but let me pick out some of the neater observations/connections you're making.

This is a trick question to make you think. The "man" behind winkies is actually female. She appears at the end of Dan's (brief) story and Diane's story.

No one has really gotten to the bottom of why the clue says 'man', yet the bum is clearly female. The inconsistency is usually brushed over, when such an inconsistency would be quite unlike our director who is known to be very precise with such things as cast listings and credits.

Look at the curled barbed wire on top of the wall behind Winkies: This represents the prison wall.

I think that's a really nice connection in support of what you're laying out here. :ThumpUp:

A prison guard allows Camilla/Aunt Ruth to take the key from his top pocket. This is done by sleight of hand and distraction. The first time that you saw the scene of Joe and the prostitute, did you actually see her take the cigarette from his pocket, or did you miss it due to the other guy leaning over her shoulder and distracting you. Also, if you look carefully at the Joe in this scene, you will see a chain hanging from his waist just like the ones that you see hanging from the waists of prison officers. (This scene is in the dream but there are clues every where. For instance, look at the way the prostitute gets compliantly into the back of the van so that Joe can shut the door on her. This represents the prison cell that she is returning to.)

Again, nice stuff.

Lynch definitely like to distract us with one thing to mask another. Witness the Adam/Camilla convertible scene video that was posted yesterday. Also links with the Magician and - all magicians to a degree - and the nature of the 'tricks' that they perform.

In general, you're talking about a two dream explanation? By the same person, or different dreamers?

And can you clarify which scenes of the film you are viewing as 'reality'?

vicster111

Postby vicster111 » 27 Oct 2010

I truly enjoy reading this interpretation! Thank you Marksman. It's just as original as my own, which I had posted on the IMBD board, and I am working on a version to post here.

I can't wait to read more...hopefully there is more. :)

marksman

Postby marksman » 27 Oct 2010

<deleted>

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » 27 Oct 2010

Marksman,

Thanks so much for all the time and effort to put forward these ideas! A lot to digest and think about.

marksman wrote:I am really pleased that people have taken time to think about my ideas. (I thought they might just be dismissed out of hand.)

Ideas build on ideas. Dismissing ideas that are not yours, dismisses chances for personal growth and building more robust ideas, both collectively and independently. This new forum should be a place for the nurturing of ideas and respectful critique - or otherwise there is no point in having it.
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

marksman

Postby marksman » 31 Oct 2010

<deleted>

Return to Mulholland Dr.