Why This Forum? Why this Winkie's?

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Film Syncs

Why This Forum? Why this Winkie's?

Postby Film Syncs » 25 Oct 2010

When Herb asked Dan: Why this Winkie’s? one can make the assumption that Winkie’s is a chain of like diners. Similarly I could ask Why this Forum? After all, there are other Mulholland Drive forums out there so why do we need another one?

In answering my own question, this is really just my viewpoint and not necessarily the viewpoint of the founders of this site. But, perhaps it’s better coming from just another poster as they are way to modest to say the things that I’m going to point out. So, please excuse me in advance.

1. These guys know their MD. They go back to year one discussions of MD on the Internet. As such they (and others like them) are an incredible resource of non-judgmental information and support to the MD film lover. I'd also suggest that - like myself - the more we think we know about MD, the more we realize that we don't know about the film. As we draw in more and more members that want to get into the film and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes …. well, as Lynch would often say it will be a “beautiful thing.”
2. Moderator support. With other sites there is no mod or the mod is mostly ‘out-to-lunch.’ For anybody who has discussed MD over time, do we really need another ‘MD Sucks’ thread or guys personally attacking each other? It’s so much better when everyone acts as an adult and realizes that a forum benefits from opinions different from their own and that discussions blossom when posters are treated with the respect that one would want for themselves.
3. Visuals are critical to the discussion and other sites do not allow images to be posted in threads, hurting the continuity and flow of the discussion. An image can also save a lot of time, pinpointing exactly what the poster meant. This site also supports embedded video which is also a sweet feature.
4. Linkages to the Lost on Mulholland Drive website. Clearly the Lost on Mulholland Drive site is the definitive site for all things MD. This was largely built on the forum discussions that occurred over at the Rotten Tomatoes MD forum that the Rotten Tomatoes owners torpedoed (go figure). So now, that benefit is back in place, with key posts and discussions to be linked to the LoMD site as is appropriate thus continuing to build and expand the site while allowing film fans to view the full discussion (if they wish). A win-win.
5. Opinions are welcomed and encouraged. Everyone has their opinions, but the beautiful thing about the LoMD website is that all opinions are welcomed and never an agenda or a ‘my way or the highway’ approach. The only agenda is the love of films and the love of all things Mulholland Dr. No ads, no moneymaking links – all of it just because they want to.

Anyway, that my viewpoint. Full disclosure is that I have corresponded with a couple of these guys over the years about MD and the like. So when I heard they were getting the band back together and creating a new forum, I knew that I was in. But, to borrow a MD phrase “there is no band.” It’s like one of those movies where someone decides to get their band back together and typically they find that some people have moved on or in a different situation – resulting in getting new band members. Well, that’s what these guys are doing, getting new band members, welcoming old friends and seeing where the discussion goes. Welcome aboard and sorry about the long post!

blu

Re: Why This Forum? Why this Winkie's?

Postby blu » 25 Oct 2010

That's appreciated.

I certainly hope that moderation and extra functionality can add value to the alternatives out there.

bsharporflat

Postby bsharporflat » 25 Oct 2010

I think the forum at IMDb has been the premier discussion site for this movie in the past 5 years. Feel free to correct or disagree if you know of another..

blu

Postby blu » 25 Oct 2010

bsharporflat wrote:I think the forum at IMDb has been the premier discussion site for this movie in the past 5 years. Feel free to correct or disagree if you know of another..

In turnover of posts, most probably.

But then RT only nuked their MD forum in the summer of last year ...

The problem at IMDb is zero visible moderation except deletion of the occasional profane post, pruning of threads after the board gets to a certain level, and the board software is, to put it frankly, shit (no search function, no inline images or videos etc.) How many threads start off talking about one thing then turn into another? Here we can slice and dice the threads to keep the original on-topic, but start a new discussion on whatever else.

We're not asking people to up and move sticks and mothball IMDb, far from it. There's room for more than 1 MD forum on the net.

Hopefully we can foster a good community atmosphere here. That's the plan anyway.

:D

Return to Mulholland Dr.