Welcome to Club Silencio! Introduce yourself here!

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
So Tough

Re: Welcome to Club Silencio! Introduce yourself here!

Postby So Tough » 27 Nov 2010

Hi, guys and girls.

I've been a great fan of most things Lynchian for decades. I still love Twin Peaks, still passionately hate Blue Velvet, and still obsess over the gorgeousness of Mulholland Drive. I hope I will be able to contribute to some of the truly fascinating discussions on this forum. Cheers! ;-)

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 28 Nov 2010

Welcome aboard!

blu

Postby blu » 29 Nov 2010

So Tough wrote:Hi, guys and girls.

I've been a great fan of most things Lynchian for decades. I still love Twin Peaks, still passionately hate Blue Velvet, and still obsess over the gorgeousness of Mulholland Drive. I hope I will be able to contribute to some of the truly fascinating discussions on this forum. Cheers! ;-)

Welcome indeed.

:D

silenthiller119

Postby silenthiller119 » 29 Nov 2010

lifeislikewater wrote:...I decided to delve into Transcendental Meditation 4 years ago and it has made everything so much more beautiful for me...

I've always been interested in TM too, but I'm held back by two things.

1. The cost it is for an adult to learn TM.
2. The controversy around it, claims of brainwashing etc.

Now this is mostly from what I've heard, so if anyone knows more about it, I'd be interested to hear about their experiences with it.

Agent Cooper

Postby Agent Cooper » 03 Dec 2010

!No hay banda! Yet we hear a band...

Hi everyone. I enjoy the site and I look forward to discussing MD and all other Lynch films with you. I began a series of articles on all the films and TV shows of David Lynch and I would like your input on them.

My URL: http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspo ... lynch.html

I am a fan of all of Lynch's work (even Dune and Wild at Heart), so I look forward to our discussions.

blu

Postby blu » 04 Dec 2010

Welcome Agent Cooper. Glad you enjoy the site. :up:

May I suggest that if you wish to draw attention to a personal blog that you write or contribute to that you create a signature with a link in there. That way your articles/blogs can be found in every post you make and you can update your signature as you add more to your '35 Years' challenge, and are also safe from accusations of spam etc.

Welcome aboard and I will be sure to check some of your articles as a bit of lunchtime reading at work.

Harmony2

Postby Harmony2 » 10 Jan 2011

Hello all!
Great to see a site dedicated to this awesome film. My name is Karen, and I saw MD for the first time last evening and was instantly hooked. Definitely a make you think film, something that stays with you long after it's over. In fact, it was the last thing we discussed before we went to sleep and the first thing discussed this morning! Looking forward to seeing all the varied interpretations of the film on here, as well as finding other similar films we have not seen that are of this genre.

Bob

Postby Bob » 10 Jan 2011

lifeislikewater wrote:At a hard time in my life, I decided to delve into Transcendental Meditation 4 years ago and it has made everything so much more beautiful for me. I probably would never have heard of the practice were it not for Mr. Lynch.

Would you mind sharing your sources with the curious ones?

Bob

Postby Bob » 10 Jan 2011

Harmony2 wrote:Hello all!
Great to see a site dedicated to this awesome film. My name is Karen, and I saw MD for the first time last evening and was instantly hooked. Definitely a make you think film, something that stays with you long after it's over. In fact, it was the last thing we discussed before we went to sleep and the first thing discussed this morning! Looking forward to seeing all the varied interpretations of the film on here, as well as finding other similar films we have not seen that are of this genre.

Welcome Karen! Regarding film recommendations, what exactly did you like about MD and what are other favorite films of yours? We'd be more than happy to help you out. For a starter, there's a general list of related films on here http://mulholland-drive.net/studies/recommended.htm

Harmony2

Postby Harmony2 » 11 Jan 2011

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome! Oh geeeze.. to list my favorite films would take a long time. Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, Seven, No Country for Old Men, Paris, Texas, Kill Bill, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of my favs), ..loved Wild at Heart back when I first saw it, even though it doesn't really fit the mold, it started my Lynch love..still can't believe I waited so long to see MD...Hmm..Matrix, Angel Heart, Magnolia, all the Bournes, and I am also a huge LOTR fan. I know I am forgetting some other well loved ones..we watch many movies. I should just copy paste my Facebook page. :)
I loved MD because it is not the ordinary drivel put out by the masses..you have to THINK about it. You have to actively participate in the movie to comprehend what is going on, and Lynch sets you up for that right away with his clues. Even with the clues in front of you, you still perceive things differently than other people watching the film. In short, it's a thinking film, an intellectual masterpiece, and it's also fun to come up with the theories.
I think the next film we are going to check out of Lynch's is Twin Peaks..I know I saw Blue Velvet once upon a time but can't recall it, so that's on the list as well.

Bob

Postby Bob » 12 Jan 2011

We have lots of favorites in common. Let me suggest following films to you (if not seen yet):

Living in Oblivion
Memento
Oldboy
Short Cuts
The Prestige
Children of Men

blu

Postby blu » 12 Jan 2011

Welcome indeed Harmony. :up:

Harmony2 wrote:I think the next film we are going to check out of Lynch's is Twin Peaks..I know I saw Blue Velvet once upon a time but can't recall it, so that's on the list as well.

Minor word of advice regarding Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The film is a prequel to the TV series, so some of it may make even less sense than your standard Lynch fare without some of the knowledge that comes with knowing the show. That said, FWWM was actually the first Lynch film that I saw many many moons ago and it hooked me on him regardless of the fact that I had no idea what was going on.

;-)

Enrico

Postby Enrico » 16 Jan 2011

Hello everyone.

I'm a physics guy and a film nut since college. I've always enjoyed unusual, impressionistic, or surreal films; as well the usual genre's. Film makers like Fellini, Bunuel, Chabrol, Robert Altman, and Hitchcock have always been high on my list.

My first exposure to Lynch was Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet and I've seen most of his others.

Lost on Mulholland Dr. is a huge site, and I've read through something over half. I think I've found some new info. for the fans here & I hope you find it interesting.
Sometimes you could hear the whisperings of all the great people who had lived here.

blu

Postby blu » 17 Jan 2011

Welcome Enrico! Always keen to hear new thoughts and information. :up:

Oldgoldtop

Postby Oldgoldtop » 19 Jan 2011

I am not a cinema buff and do not see many films. Blue Velvet and MD are among my favorites though I really like the Cohens too. Our daughter is a senior in HS and we felt she was mature enough to see MD so we recently got out our old DVD, not having watched it in probably 8 or 9 years. I had always subscribed to the "classic" interpretation but came away with a very different perspective this time. Any way I came here to poke around abit having had my curriosity peaked again after so many years.
"A man's attitude determines to a large extent how his life will be."

PreviousNext

Return to Mulholland Dr.