The Rules of the Lost on Mulholland Drive - Club Silencio forums are intended to ensure a friendly and professional atmosphere for all members. We want you to have fun here, after all. Please take a few minutes to read through them. If you have used message boards before you should find them straightforward, and none should impose any burden on people who are here to relax and enjoy discussing their favorite hobbies. They are important, though, and we do enforce them. Violations may result in any or all of the following: public or private warning, removal of the offending post, thread closure and/or temporary or permanent suspension.
1. Every member has a unique "username" of your choosing, barring that it is already taken by another member. The username can be nearly anything as long as it is not profane or obscene, or otherwise objectionable. Your username will appear on each of your posts. Members may not use multiple user IDs when posting to Club Silencio. Doing so may result in you being barred from the forum. Non-active user IDs can and will be recycled as deemed necessary or desirable.
2. Valid e-mail. All members must supply a valid e-mail address when they register. Your e-mail address will not be visible to other members, and we will not share it with anyone, but it is essential that we have a reliable method of contacting you. It is each member's responsibility to keep the e-mail address associated with his or her Club Silencio account valid and up to date. If we try to contact a member by e-mail and the e-mail is returned as undeliverable, the account will be suspended until the member contacts us.
Topics & Posting
3. Topic areas and sections. You will notice that Club Silencio is divided into specific topic areas. Please post your topic in the appropriate area and section. If you're not sure which area and section are appropriate, review the forum descriptions or ask a more experience member or moderator. If you start an off-topic thread, don't be surprised when one of the moderators moves it to the appropriate area and section. Please also stay on-topic as much as possible within a thread. If the thread has run its course on its original subject, please start another thread rather than posting discussions that are off-topic. This greatly helps users find posts again.
4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at Club Silencio per se. However, it IS permitted to discuss any political or religious thematic elements of any film or film-related material. Please do not use this exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion.
5. Respect for copyrights. Club Silencio has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow discussion of bootleg material or where or how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or (c) how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of Club Silencio. We are serious about it, and it is not going to change. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. We believe it is in the best interest of Club Silencio to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.
6. No dealers or promotions. Club Silencio is commercial and advertising free and not-for-profit. If you have joined Club Silencio under the impression that it's an opportunity to promote a product, a website or your own personal blog -- please think again. The one exception to this is you may create a link within your signature to your personal website or blog.
7. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please contact a moderator.
8. A site for adult behavior. We assume that everyone here to act in a adult manner no matter what their age. This also means that we do not screen or remove content to prevent minors from being exposed to mature subject matter; that decision belongs to their parents or guardians. Nevertheless, we want Club Silencio to remain professional in both tone and appearance. So please do not use profanity to excess, and please do not use any profanity (whether mild or harsh) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT header of a post or thread, because those may appear on the Main Forum Page or on other featured pages.
9. No quoting entire articles. We do not allow the copying and pasting of entire articles from other sites or publications, even if proper credit is given, unless you have express permission from the copyright holder. Please quote only relevant excerpts, and provide a link back to the original in its entirety.
10. Pictures within limits. We allow pictures to be included in messages as well as used as user avatars, but please be careful when referring to pictures on other sites. Many of these images are copyrighted and cannot be used elsewhere without express permission from the rights holder. Any images that are considered distasteful or inappropriate for the Club Silencio audience may be removed.
11. No "bumping". We do not allow "bump" or "to the top" posts. If people are not interested in commenting on the thread that interests take that as a sign of limited interest.
Dealing with Problems
12. Reporting a problem. If you have a problem with another member's post, or if you believe a rule has been violated, please send a report to the moderators via the report button on each post. These reports are treated as confidential and are not available to anyone outside the moderating staff. However, please attempt to work out differences before involving a moderator. Please do not get into fights or respond to a personal attack by attacking back. This is a fan-friendly forum. If you absolutely must say something to your attacker, do it privately in email.
13. Moderator instructions. Club Silencio moderators (also known as "administrators") are responsible for running the forum on a day-to-day basis and enforcing these rules. Please comply with any instructions from a moderator, whether those instructions are general or specific. Failure to comply with a moderator's instructions will have serious consequences.
14. No public disagreements. Anyone arguing with a moderator regarding enforcement of forum rules and guidelines or disciplinary action will be immediately removed. This includes "indirect" argument, where a member vents about a moderator's action being "unjustified", "excessive", etc.
15. Contacting a moderator. If you have an issue with or complaint against a moderator, raise it privately in an email or private message with the moderator in question. Do not, under any circumstances, raise such issues in public postings. In addition, before contacting the forum's owners with a complaint about a moderator, remember that the owners have personally selected and place great trust in their moderators and are unlikely to be swayed by someone who complains about a moderator without even bothering to contact him or her directly. Please remain civil when dealing with moderators, whether in their official capacity or in their ordinary postings as members of Club Silencio. Abusive or disrespectful conduct toward a moderator will not be tolerated, regardless of whether it occurs in public postings or in private communications.
16. We make the rules. Forum rules and guidelines are not up for debate. This is not a democracy, but rather a private forum. Anyone openly debating these rules will be removed. In addition, anyone publicly challenging or "calling out" the forum's ownership or administration on the policies or conduct of the forum will be removed. We are interested in your opinions and have forum areas for you to offer them. Please remember that we are doing this solely for our love of the films.
17. Each member is responsible for own posts. The opinions expressed by posters at Club Silencio are their own and cannot be imputed to Club Silencio, its moderators or its owners. Every poster on this forum accepts full legal responsibility for the contents of each posting by him or her as well as for the fact that it was posted. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use Club Silencio to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Club Silencio, its moderators and its owners with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your post(s) or message(s). Club Silencio, its moderators and its owners shall bear no legal responsibility for the mere presence of a certain post or message on this forum, any failure to delete it and/or any opinion expressed therein.
18. Personal information. You agree not to use any personal information regarding any member of Club Silencio for any purpose other than personal communication with that member.
19. Reservation of rights. We reserve the right to delete any message or portion thereof, to suspend posting privileges, and/or to delete member accounts, with or without explanation and with or without prior warning. We also reserve the right to refuse to delete any member account, at our discretion.
20. Amendment of rules. These rules may be revised from time to time. Members are responsible for periodically reviewing these rules to ensure compliance. If you have any questions about any particular rule(s), please email any one of the moderators or the owners of Club Silencio.
21. All posts and their content by any member becomes fair share material that can be copied and distributed free of charge or any obligation. If you wish to maintain copyright protection for your ideas do not post on this forum.