Lulu Mae -> Betty and Holly Golightly -> Diane

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Cowboy

Lulu Mae -> Betty and Holly Golightly -> Diane

Postby Cowboy » 21 Oct 2010

The Lamp Lady (a.k.a. Woman from Apt. 12) comments that it's been weeks since Diane moved - yet her belongings are still in boxes. That's really an inside joke as it doesn't matter how long it is or will be ... Diane as Holly Golightly will leave them in boxes.

Holly Golightly is the protagonist in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). She is small town girl Lulu Mae who runs off to seek the glamour of Hollywood. She meets a producer who gets a promising role for her but runs off to become a paid girl-for-the-night in New York City. Connecting film references for Betty as Lulu Mae:

- Is the naive small town girl moving to L.A. seeking movie roles
- Is promoted by an influential producer for film roles - 'this is the girl'
- When a role materializes (with another 'this is the girl') she spooks and runs away (i.e. sound stage scene).

Her cowboy husband Doc (who married her when she was but a young girl) tracks her down at her apartment in the city only to leave disappointed. Connecting film references for Diane as Holly Golightly are:

- Personal belongings in boxes around her apartment when she's been living there for weeks
- While sex with would-be suitors is implied in Breakfast at Tiffany's it's implicit in MD.
- Pushing would-be suitor (Camilla) away from her threshold by closing the door on her
- Cowboy (in a cowboy hat) finding his 'pretty girl' at her apartment - only to leave disappointed
- Eye-to-eye contact with the film producer (played by Angelo Badalamenti) at a party may suggest her past relationship with him.

Naturally, any idea or role in MD is multi-faceted as that is Lynch. Yeah, would it be great if there was an orange cat or a long cigarette holder hanging around or a phone in a suitcase? Sure. But Lynch is more abstract that that, isn't he?
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

blu

Re: Lulu Mae -> Betty and Holly Golightly -> Diane

Postby blu » 01 Nov 2010

Cowboy wrote:The Lamp Lady (a.k.a. Woman from Apt. 12) comments that it's been weeks since Diane moved - yet her belongings are still in boxes. That's really an inside joke as it doesn't matter how long it is or will be ... Diane as Holly Golightly will leave them in boxes.

So are you arguing that the "3 weeks" line that people have often tried to build timelines and scenarios around is really quite unimportant? You think that's a bit of a wild goose chase? Or (as you mention) with the film and its elements often being multi-faceted/threaded the 3 weeks can work both as a nod to Holly Golightly and as a genuine puzzle-within-the puzzle thing in MD?

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » 01 Nov 2010

blu wrote:
Cowboy wrote:The Lamp Lady (a.k.a. Woman from Apt. 12) comments that it's been weeks since Diane moved - yet her belongings are still in boxes. That's really an inside joke as it doesn't matter how long it is or will be ... Diane as Holly Golightly will leave them in boxes.

So are you arguing that the "3 weeks" line that people have often tried to build timelines and scenarios around is really quite unimportant? You think that's a bit of a wild goose chase? Or (as you mention) with the film and its elements often being multi-faceted/threaded the 3 weeks can work both as a nod to Holly Golightly and as a genuine puzzle-within-the puzzle thing in MD?

I'm really arguing none of the above. With that said, I believe that Lynch's ideas are multi-faceted and simply because Lynch may reference the Wizard of Oz does not change that he is not making the Wizard of Oz story - it's just another idea upon idea that sparks his own creative ideas.

Even then my question back would be ... does it matter if it's been 2 weeks versus 6 weeks for Diane in apartment 17? If so, how so? If not, does the three weeks really matter as a timeline?

Back to the Breakfast of Tiffany's film connections. What more does Lynch offer to reference Breakfast at Tiffany's? Well, he offers up Breakfast at Tiffany's by having Herb and Dan have breakfast at ... Tiffany's the clue a visual one where Lynch has the Winkie's sign painted Tiffany blue.
Attachments
's Sign - Smaller.jpg
tiffany-box.jpg
Well, stop for a little second and think about it. Can you do that for me?

blu

Postby blu » 01 Nov 2010

Cowboy wrote:Even then my question back would be ... does it matter if it's been 2 weeks versus 6 weeks for Diane in apartment 17? If so, how so? If not, does the three weeks really matter as a timeline?

I think that the timeframe matters because it's in the same conversation as a remark about detectives looking for Diane and is worth considering when trying to work out the urgency of their search for her, and hence why they might be looking.

If we can trust what the Lamp Lady says, and we think it may have been 3 weeks since she saw Diane, does that mean that the detectives have been looking for her for longer than 3 weeks? If so, has that blue key been sat on her coffee table longer than 3 weeks? If so, has it really taken Diane 3 weeks of masturbating on the couch contemplating suicide for her to actually follow through with it? etc etc etc

I dig the Tiffany Blue and breakfast connection, btw, that's very nice. :up:

Sparkie0911

Postby Sparkie0911 » 01 Oct 2011

Probably the detectives don't considder it an urgent matter, otherwise they would hunt her down. It must be the detectives from the car accident.

Return to Mulholland Dr.